Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I need javascript code please

    Ok, i dont know javascript, but i need code for this html that is associated with javascript. Can you please help? Like i just said, i know nothing about javascript, but how do i call "javascript: formhandler(form)" to open a new window to play the file? Thank you

    <form name="form">
    <div align="center">
    <select name="site" size=1 onChange="javascript:formHandler(form)">
    <option value="">Listen to Music Here While you Browse...
    <option value="http://www.jeffhalbe.com/joker.mid">Steve Miller Band - Joker</option>
    <option value="http://www.jeffhalbe.com/wonder_wall.mid">Oasis - Wonderwall</option>
    <option value="http://www.jeffhalbe.com/slowride.mid">Beastie Boys - Slowride</option>
    <option value="http://www.jeffhalbe.com/run_around.mid">Blues Travellers - Run Around</option>
    </select>
    </form>

  • #2
    fci
    fci is offline
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you do realize 99% of people find the playing of midi files on a website annoying .. ?

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well that is not of my concern here nor does it answer my question and this website is for personal use and my friends, so out of those people your facts are completely wrong.

  • #4
    fci
    fci is offline
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

  • #5
    Supreme Master coder! Philip M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    17,733
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 2,486 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fci
    you do realize 99% of people find the playing of midi files on a website annoying .. ?
    Why do you say that? I have midi flies on most of my pages as background music and no-one has ever commented adversely or complained. Of course the music needs to be good quality (some midis are pretty manky), and in my case the music is selected to be "appropriate", e.g. "Wheels" on the page listing wheels.

    The visitor can easily reduce the volume or turn the music off if they wish.
    As easilyas they can choose full screen or not, font size "larger" and so forth.

  • #6
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    3,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I sit in a cubicle with three co-workers, I have sound enabled on my computer so that I can hear when I receive new mail or have meeting reminders or other things that truly need attention but I have disabled the purely "there for noise" sounds in windows since there's no reason my coworkers need to "hear" when I reboot my machine, logon or logoff, minimize or maximize a windows or other common actions.

    I do not appreciate visiting any web site that provides uneccesary noises which could disturb my coworkers and "turning off the sound" is not something I should have to do simply because some web coder thinks background music is a cool thing. I would leave such a site in a hurry simply because it's noxious to me. Does that help you understand why it could be considered a bad thing?

    Note however, this is a precept for commercial sites. Personal sites should always have the option of doing "cool" things if the owner likes.
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

  • #7
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,315
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M
    I have midi flies on most of my pages as background music and no-one has ever commented adversely or complained.
    Probably because it's easier just to leave and never come back.

  • #8
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    3,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ease up everyone, he did state that it's a personal site. As his own personal site he should be given a lot more personal freedom to build the site to fit his own desires.

    If I hadn't skimmed over his earlier responses and missed the fact that he already said it was a personal site I'd not have written my earlier message.
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

  • #9
    Supreme Master coder! Philip M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    17,733
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 2,486 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Sinclair
    Ease up everyone, he did state that it's a personal site. As his own personal site he should be given a lot more personal freedom to build the site to fit his own desires.
    How kind of you to say so!

  • #10
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    3,880
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did anything that fci gave you help you resolve this?
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

  • #11
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,352
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    the wheels on the bus go crunching to a stop

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M
    I have midi flies on most of my pages as background music. in my case the music is selected to be "appropriate", e.g. "Wheels" on the page listing wheels.
    i always put you down as probably having more taste than that. guess i shouldn't judge a poster by the posts they make, eh!


    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M
    The visitor can easily reduce the volume or turn the music off if they wish.
    As easilyas they can choose full screen or not, font size "larger" and so forth.
    it's a hassle. also, i might be listening to my own music (ie via a CD in the PC) at the time and therefore have to stop the track just to get rid of any dirge emmanating from your website.

    personal or not, sites should not use music on a site unless it comes with some sort of in-built control to stop the soundtrack if required by the user. thus you're better off using Flash to play background music.
    *keep it simple (TM)


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •