I made these buttons using 4 individual images, UP, DOWN, OFF and HIGHLIGHTED.
When downloading from the internet it downloads very slowly as there are so many images (although small). Also its pretty inefficent.
I have thought of 3 ways in which to make it better.
1) Seperate the buttons and the text on the buttons. So i would have just one up one down one off and one highlighted image. Then use individual letter images which go on top of the button. I would still need up and down images for each letter but they would be transparent. I think this would download faster as the images could be smaller in bytes and there would be fewer but still a few hundred.
2) I combine the images for each button into one
then when i want to show the button down i move the image right and show image 2 etc.
This would make the images generally bigger but there would be few of them.
HOWEVER, as my buttons are so close together like below they will interfere with each other.
so i cant really use that it seems.
Does anyone have any other good ways to do it? is another language more suitable? I was thinking of using Flash Action Script as then i can make it into a standalone app.
Basically i would use only 5 images:
1) the background including the up buttons all combined into one image.
2) the down button image (all in the same image)
3) the highligted button image (all in the same image)
4) the off button image (all in the same image)
5) and a transparent image the size of one button.
Now if i do it this way then then i click one button all of them will change.
IS THIS POSSIBLE (OR SOMETHING LIKE IT)
So what i want to know is this, IS it possible to focus on a particular layer through the transparent image?
Is there any other way of doing something like this?
Any help is appreciated, unfortuantly i dont really understand terminology as this is my first program. I would search on how to do this but i have no idea what it would be called.