I don't think it is an issue with my code so I will just explain the situation and hopefully it can be cleared up. I have a JApplet that is reading a .txt file with the names of all the players. When I create a player this file is updated to add the player to the list using php, this works fine and I can read the player list from the text file when I load the applet and if I create a character the php file updates my text file instantly. If I try to read the list of players from the text file again using my same method that read it fine on start up it doesn't read the updated file.
So basically I am wondering if the applet is just preloading all the files when it starts instead of directly reading them from the server each time. If this is the case is there a way to get it to update the files.

Here is how I am reading the file. It works fine but just doesn't recognize a change to the file while the applet is loaded.

Code:
try{
         URL url = new URL("http://mywebsitegoeshere.com/playerNames.txt");
      
         BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));
      
         String line = "";
      
         while(null != (line = br.readLine())) {
            if(line.equals(name + ".txt")){
               return true;
            }
         }
         br.close();
         
         
      }catch(Exception er){

      }
That is just a piece of the method it is just comparing the name they are trying to login as with the list if characters created which are also .txt files. I decided to do it like this because I figured it would be easy for a simple saving of character info and high scores but obviously not secure since anyone could call my php scripts from outside the applet.