Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Compiling java code from the command line

    This has been frustrating me intensely.

    I am trying to compile my source code from the Windows 7 command prompt. I have added the directory in which my *.java file is located to the classpath. Yet, I still get this error:

    C:\Users\Alex>javac HelloThere.java
    javac: file not found: HelloThere.java
    Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    use -help for a list of possible options

    I'm very confused as to why this happens because if I navigate to the folder where this file is located, it will compile. However, this is not a satisfactory solution since I intend on compiling JUnit tests directly from the command line as well...

    Other solutions I have attempted:

    C:\Users\Alex>javac -classpath "C:\Users\Alex\AndroidProject\UnitTest\src" Hello
    There.java
    javac: file not found: HelloThere.java
    Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    use -help for a list of possible options

    I do not think this has ANYTHING to do with typos...

    Images showing what I'm doing...

    http://yfrog.com/jtpic1ap

    http://yfrog.com/7gpic2uhp

    Please tell me I'm just doing something stupid...because I have no idea why this will not work...

  • #2
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cochin,India
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by alman9898 View Post
    if I navigate to the folder where this file is located, it will compile.
    .
    Yes it is the right way of compiling java program. "javac" command will try to find the file in the same directory where you execute the command.
    Quote Originally Posted by alman9898 View Post
    However, this is not a satisfactory solution since I intend on compiling JUnit tests directly from the command line as well...
    .
    And you can specify classpath option when you run the program.

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alman9898 View Post
    This has been frustrating me intensely.

    I am trying to compile my source code from the Windows 7 command prompt. I have added the directory in which my *.java file is located to the classpath. Yet, I still get this error:

    C:\Users\Alex>javac HelloThere.java
    javac: file not found: HelloThere.java
    Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    use -help for a list of possible options

    I'm very confused as to why this happens because if I navigate to the folder where this file is located, it will compile. However, this is not a satisfactory solution since I intend on compiling JUnit tests directly from the command line as well...

    Other solutions I have attempted:

    C:\Users\Alex>javac -classpath "C:\Users\Alex\AndroidProject\UnitTest\src" Hello
    There.java
    javac: file not found: HelloThere.java
    Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    use -help for a list of possible options

    I do not think this has ANYTHING to do with typos...

    Images showing what I'm doing...

    http://yfrog.com/jtpic1ap

    http://yfrog.com/7gpic2uhp

    Please tell me I'm just doing something stupid...because I have no idea why this will not work...
    I have the same problem. I need to figure this out for an exam. Why does the classpath option on the command line not find my .java file???


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •