Description: Identify a student.
The program shall let the librarian query the library database through a unique Student ID. The search results shall produce the student name, together with the details of books loaned out to the student (if any).
The library database should then have the following details:
• Records of the all students in the university that have registered to use the library.
• All the books in the library that are available for lending. Each book should have the following attributes:
o ISBN number (unique).
o Title of the book.
o Book status (In library or checked out).
o If book is checked out, it would display the check-out date and student ID of borrower.
o Due date.
• Records of books loaned out to students sorted using the unique student ID.
• A record of all librarians that operate the book lending service. Each librarian record should contain the librarians name and a unique librarian ID.
Description: Add a student record.
If the search results in requirement 1 above don’t produce a result, then the program will allow the librarian to add the student to the library database upon producing a valid university student ID card which contains the name of the student, the course the student is doing and a unique student ID. An optional value for the student’s phone number may also be entered.
Therefore, each Student should have the following attributes:
• Student ID.
• Phone number.
• Book(s) issued to the student (Identified by the title and ISBN). Other attributes related to the book(s) appear as records under the specific book(s) in question. E.g., author, issue date, due date, etc.
• Fines total.
Description: Check-out a book.
The librarian initiates a book check-out by querying the database using the books ISBN number. When the database returns the result and the book details are shown, the librarian enters the student ID, and the program automatically updates the issue date and due date to the book record, and the ISBN and book title to the student record, after the librarian presses the check-out button.
NOTE: The issue date is automatically updated as the current system date. The due date is automatically updated as 10 days from the current date. So the librarian will query the database using the ISBN and afterwards input the student ID and the program will do the rest. A maximum of 5 books can be checked-out at a time.
Description: Check-in a book.
The librarians can check-in a book(s) using its ISBN number. When the database returns the search results, the check-in process is completed when the librarian presses the check-in button. The return date for any particular book is automatically updated as the current system date. The program also computes the fine (if any), as difference between the due date and the return date at a rate of 50p a day. This is updated to the student record using the student ID.