Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Buttons Have Gone Crazy

    Any ideas why the buttons on the following link have such big gaps around them top and bottom? http://www.curiousclothing.com/test/tours.htm

  • #2
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Add this to your CSS
    Code:
    #links img {
    display:block;
    }
    An image is an inline element by default so a line-height is applied to them. Making them display:block; gets rid of this. Also in the future you need to be more specific about your problem, e.g. what browser, which buttons, etc. Help us help you.
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry... Will be more specific next time! But thanks for the help!

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_ View Post
    Add this to your CSS
    Code:
    #links img {
    display:block;
    }
    An image is an inline element by default so a line-height is applied to them. Making them display:block; gets rid of this. Also in the future you need to be more specific about your problem, e.g. what browser, which buttons, etc. Help us help you.
    I added it to the css file but still didn't have any luck...

  • #5
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Add this to the top of your CSS
    Code:
    * {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    that will zero out all margins and padding so you won't have to keep zeroing out default margins and padding. It seems to fix your navigation problem as well. Again if you were more specific then we couldn't have sorted this out a lot sooner.
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #6
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_ View Post
    Add this to the top of your CSS
    Code:
    * {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    that will zero out all margins and padding so you won't have to keep zeroing out default margins and padding. It seems to fix your navigation problem as well. Again if you were more specific then we couldn't have sorted this out a lot sooner.
    And do I keep the previous CSS? I have never used the * for CSS beofre? Does this make it apply to the entire document or something like that?

  • #7
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_ View Post
    Add this to the top of your CSS
    Code:
    * {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    that will zero out all margins and padding so you won't have to keep zeroing out default margins and padding. It seems to fix your navigation problem as well. Again if you were more specific then we couldn't have sorted this out a lot sooner.
    Would that code have done something funny to this page? http://www.curiousclothing.com/test/packages.htm seems to have lost all it's formatting...

  • #8
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Like I said all default margins and paddings are set to 0. You will need to manually set margins and paddings to certain elements like paragraphs and ul/ol's. Its actually the default margin and padding on the paragraphs on the tours page. Again another drawback of using tables, as you put more content your cells stretch in height even if you set a height to them. I suggest you read the link in my sig titled "Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?".
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #9
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_ View Post
    Like I said all default margins and paddings are set to 0. You will need to manually set margins and paddings to certain elements like paragraphs and ul/ol's. Its actually the default margin and padding on the paragraphs on the tours page. Again another drawback of using tables, as you put more content your cells stretch in height even if you set a height to them. I suggest you read the link in my sig titled "Why Tables for Layout is Stupid?".
    Hi There _Aerospace_Eng_ wanted your opinion, to charge for a site like this as it is, http://www.copperproject.com/ is that wrong? As tables have been used throughout?

  • #10
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    My opinion would be not to but thats because it can be done a whole lot better. I tell this to many people who offer their services for web design. If they aren't up to date with standards then they shouldn't be offering services at all for monetary gain.
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •