Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question need website update help

    I want to redo our main (front) home page, which is:
    http://www.townofholden.net/

    here are two I like the look of:
    http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/
    http://www.ci.southbridge.ma.us/
    (I had a much better reference, but can't currently find it.)

    I like the drill-down ability they use here, but not necessarily the actual execution. What I want is something which has similar text colors with reversing highlight colors, and drill-down abilities, but otherwise the same basic layout as our current page. Something using CSS and text styles instead of javascript/"word images" might be nice. I do like the current image popup in the center to correspond with each selection, though.

    I want something which will work in any browser and not be too slow.

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Answer me these questions three:

    1. What server-side technology does your host support, particularly PHP?
    2. Are you familiar with Cascading Style Sheets?
    3. Do you expect someone else to do this for you or are you just looking for ideas?
    Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Gray
    Answer me these questions three:

    1. What server-side technology does your host support, particularly PHP?
    2. Are you familiar with Cascading Style Sheets?
    3. Do you expect someone else to do this for you or are you just looking for ideas?
    1. Apache/2.0.36 (Unix) PHP/4.2.1 as far as I know. Also MySQL. If you give me the command to check versions, I can firm those version numbers up for you. Running on a modified version of Slackware Linux.

    2. Somewhat familiar with the concept, but not too much with use. I'm willing to learn.

    3. Either or both. I see the Worcester one uses Front Page which is allegedly easy to use. I have heard some "not so good" things about Front Page, though, especially as relates to standards. I'm open to suggestions.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, first suggestion is that Front Page is craptacular. The code it gives you is several times larger than it needs to be and it does not support the separation of content and style at all. Which is a shame because that separation makes future updates ever so easy. I would take the world wide web consortium and other's CSS tutorials to familiarize yourself with it. I would try to think of a layout and general design geared toward the overall purpose of the site before beginning to actually code.

    What kind of a layout do you want? Tabbed navigation, three columns, footer? That sort of thing. PHP is a huge asset, I love php and it will enable you to add a lot of nifty little tidbits to your site, but structure is the first thing.
    Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

  • #5
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Gray
    Ok, first suggestion is that Front Page is craptacular. The code it gives you is several times larger than it needs to be and it does not support the separation of content and style at all. Which is a shame because that separation makes future updates ever so easy. I would take the world wide web consortium and other's CSS tutorials to familiarize yourself with it. I would try to think of a layout and general design geared toward the overall purpose of the site before beginning to actually code.

    What kind of a layout do you want? Tabbed navigation, three columns, footer? That sort of thing. PHP is a huge asset, I love php and it will enable you to add a lot of nifty little tidbits to your site, but structure is the first thing.
    We like the current layout, but it just a little inflexible. We currently want to add a new category to right side for example. We might like the ease of adding and removing other "categories" in the future. Right now, these are images of the words, of which I have no way to recreate or mesh a new one in with the existing very easily. The javascript code is somewhat complex and I'd rather make things simpler and more modern. Like I said, we have php server running.

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The other thing I'd like to add is the "drill down" capability.

  • #7
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What do you mean by the drill-down capability? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get what you are looking for and more by using more modern CSS techniques.
    Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden1
    The other thing I'd like to add is the "drill down" capability.

    Menu structure. Do you want a JS one or a CSS one? CSS will work in all modern browsers and ones in the future. While JS ones will work on all older ones to whenever they change something in JS.
    Note: I do not test code. I just write it off the top of my head. There might be bugs in it! But if any thing I gave you the overall theory of what you need to accomplish. Also there are plenty of other ways to accomplish this same thing. I just gave one example of it. Other ways might be faster and more efficient.

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Gray
    What do you mean by the drill-down capability? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get what you are looking for and more by using more modern CSS techniques.
    By "drill down", I meant that there are sub-menus or choices under the main ones, like on the two reference sites. Thanks.

  • #10
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpirtOfGrandeur
    Menu structure. Do you want a JS one or a CSS one? CSS will work in all modern browsers and ones in the future. While JS ones will work on all older ones to whenever they change something in JS.
    I thought I hinted pretty strongly at CSS over Javascript.

    The question is, where to begin?

    Thanks.

  • #11
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Note: I do not test code. I just write it off the top of my head. There might be bugs in it! But if any thing I gave you the overall theory of what you need to accomplish. Also there are plenty of other ways to accomplish this same thing. I just gave one example of it. Other ways might be faster and more efficient.

  • #12
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    5,211
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 201 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden1
    I like the drill-down ability they use here, but not necessarily the actual execution.
    Do you mean you don;t like the appearance of their flyouts? If so, that is all changeable with your css. I use suckerfishes drop down with 6 levels (though it's not heavily populated yet). Maybe it would be of use?

    Bazz
    Last edited by bazz; 08-26-2005 at 11:52 AM.
    "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

    Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
    Useful MySQL resource
    Useful MySQL link

  • #13
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz
    Do you mean you don;t like the appearance of their flyouts? If so, that is all changeable with your css. I use suckerfishes drop down with 6 levels (though it's not heavily popultaed yet). Maybe it would be of use? here
    The menu is at the top left of the window.
    I'll take that link out tomorrow as I am not plugging my site.

    Bazz
    No, I realize the appearance can be changed. I guess I'm not 100% sure what I meant. The Worcester site looks pretty decent, but I'd want other colors and maybe larger fonts, but that's about it.

    How does one begin to do this?

    Thanks again.


    Edit: I liked your site, but the navigation isn't totally intuitive.

    I do like the maroon, but I'd rather have it simpler than that still.
    Last edited by Holden1; 08-25-2005 at 06:33 PM.

  • #14
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Using some links from another thread, I was able to find these:

    http://www.aplus.co.yu/adxmenu/examples/netymology/
    http://www.aplus.co.yu/adxmenu/examples/netymology-hs/


    Now, if I could get the categories to be in 2 vertical panels like our original home page, and then have the dropdowns open towards the middle...


    That, or maybe I'll rethink the entire site design.

    hmmmm.

    Thanks, keep the info coming...

  • #15
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm a webmaster of a site for my company and I've been using alistapart.com's tuts for 2 years now, they are really good. I've been currently redesigning their homepage (FRAMES, YUCK!) with a cms and I used horizontal dropdowns for this one. Believe it or not, but that menu runs on the same technique as alistapart's.

    http://www.encyclue.nl/etomite/

    CSS can do a lot if you know how to handle it.
    CATdude about IE6: "All your box-model are belong to us"


  •  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •