Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Internet Explorer not changing charset

    Hello all,

    I am trying to build a multilingual site where the user is able to change the language by clicking, e.g. a Portuguese link.

    The language changing feature is working perfectly in Firefox, but not for many pages in Internet Explorer. I think I have setup my <meta> tags correctly.

    Is this a bug in Internet Explorer? How do people cope with this in reality?

    I put a meta like below on the top of each page where I want a different language. Is this the end of the story?

    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=big5">

    (for Chinese)
    (or windows-1252 for English and Portuguese)

    I'm stuck with this for a long time now. Would really appreaciate if someone can give me a hand on it.

    Thanks a lot!

    Stanton
    Last edited by Stanton; 07-13-2005 at 05:57 AM.

  • #2
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    I think you are going to need to go server side on this one passing a different content type/ header. Im not entirely sure how to do this but if do a search for changing content type dynamically you might find some results.

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also, this generalized query might be of help: google:i18n+internationalization

    The term "i18n" is shorthand. The "18" stands for the number of letters between the "i" and the last "n" in "internationalization."

  • #4
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Problem solved for user browsing experience.


    Do this for Internet Explorer:

    header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=big5");



    Still cannot get the charset working for an email sent to the user though.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •