Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Strange block of space in tumblr notes

    Hi, I've just noticed that most of my tumblr posts that have notes added, have a strange block of space between the first 'note' and the rest.

    Thing is it's not on all of them and seems to only affect the posts with only a few notes.

    On these examples you can see the block of space I'm referring to:

    http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24438616453

    http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24439619594

    http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24...9/via-syndrome

    But on this and others with lots of notes, the space isn't there.

    http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/23250729344

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Regular Coder Lerura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 129 Times in 128 Posts
    In all your documents You have 2 Doctypes, and a misplaced <script>
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <script>!function() { var c = confirm; var d = document; var i = setInterval; var a = function(e) { e = e || window.event; var t = e.target || e.srcElement; if (t.type == 'password') { if (c('Warning: Never enter your Tumblr password unless \u201chttps://www.tumblr.com/login\u201d\x0ais the address in your web browser.\x0a\x0aYou should also see a green \u201cTumblr, Inc.\u201d identification in the address bar.\x0a\x0aSpammers and other bad guys use fake forms to steal passwords.\x0a\x0aTumblr will never ask you to log in from a user\u2019s blog.\x0a\x0aAre you absolutely sure you want to continue?')) { a = function() {}; } else { t.value = ""; return false; } } }; i(function() { d.addEventListener('keypress', a, false)}, 0); }();</script><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    I can see by the coding that you want the xhtml-Doctype.
    Running the validator, it sees <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    as stray because there already are is a <!Doctype html>>. And it also sees the <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> a stray because it is not placed right after the first <!Doctype>.

    Start by removing the first doctype, and move the <script> inside you head, somewhere after the last meta tag.

    I can't spot any other errors, so I am pretty sure the the above is what meeses up the rendering.

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, Lerura.

    I think the <script> stuff you're referring to must be serverside only as I can't find:

    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <script>!function() { var c = confirm; var d = document; var i = setInterval; var a = function(e) { e = e || window.event; var t = e.target || e.srcElement; if (t.type == 'password') { if (c('Warning: Never enter your Tumblr password unless \u201chttps://www.tumblr.com/login\u201d\x0ais the address in your web browser.\x0a\x0aYou should also see a green \u201cTumblr, Inc.\u201d identification in the address bar.\x0a\x0aSpammers and other bad guys use fake forms to steal passwords.\x0a\x0aTumblr will never ask you to log in from a user\u2019s blog.\x0a\x0aAre you absolutely sure you want to continue?')) { a = function() {}; } else { t.value = ""; return false; } } }; i(function() { d.addEventListener('keypress', a, false)}, 0); }();</script><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    anywhere in my template. I see the lines when I view the source (just like anyone else can do) but it's not part of the template code that I have access to. The actual code I can alter and customize begins at:

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

    It seems to be something to do with the number of 'notes' a post has. There are two examples here.

    This post only has 4 notes (unless more are added before you get chance to look at it) and you can clearly see the rouge gap: http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24705765453

    Where this post has 12 notes and the formatting is just fine: http://skunkpussy.tumblr.com/post/24694400757

    I don't get why is only effects the notes on some posts but not others.
    Last edited by OurJud; 06-09-2012 at 03:14 AM.

  • #4
    Regular Coder Lerura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 129 Times in 128 Posts
    You are probably right. Nonetheless it is how it is processed.

    I tried validating the source code, omitting the first <doctype> and the <script>.
    This enabled the validator to check the rest of the document.

    It gave me 49 errors, all within the code that looks like been generated by tumblr.

    Guess the only solution is to change webhotel.
    All that VERY BAD auto generated code can mess up any well coded page.

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay. Thanks again.

    I'll run it through the validator, omitting the lines you mention and see what other errors, if any, I can fix.

    I've tested the site on the three big players (IE, Chrome and FF) and (apart from the notes thing) it seems to display fine on all three, so I'm not overly concerned with the validator errors.
    Last edited by OurJud; 06-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •