Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    CSS Help Works in IE not Firefox & Safari

    Please help!!! it's driving me mad!

    I was wondering if anyone can help me, I a site look exactly right in IE7 but Firefox doesn't work... I'm guessing this will be the same as Safari.

    The site has been uploaded to here http://www.chappo.co.uk/years_ahead

    Please can someone show me where I'm going wrong...

    It should look like this (see attached)

    the bit where it says 'advice' is a flash file.

    It's all over the place in Firefox you can see the navbar and multiple Flash files loading everywhere....

    Thanks all!!

    Jason
    Last edited by JasonChaplin; 07-16-2008 at 02:05 PM.

  • #2
    Senior Coder rafiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Floating around somewhere...
    Posts
    2,046
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...years_ahead%2F

    Get your html sorted. Your css is clean though may not be coded how you want.
    The reason FF and Safari are showing your page wrong is simply IE guess' how you want it, FF and Safari display how it's told to.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...years_ahead%2F

    Get your html sorted. Your css is clean though may not be coded how you want.
    The reason FF and Safari are showing your page wrong is simply IE guess' how you want it, FF and Safari display how it's told to.
    Thanks, but could you give me some examples? thanks again

  • #4
    Senior Coder rafiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Floating around somewhere...
    Posts
    2,046
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    Clean up your mark-up and check it again.

  • #5
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How do suggest i do it then? Can you give me some examples or code or changes?
    I only got this site working by luck and google!

    Sorry I'm a bit of a newby to websites, I said I will have a go as a favour.

    Thanks
    Jason

  • #6
    Supreme Master coder! abduraooft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,852
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    The structure of HTML document should be some thing like
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>
       <head>
          <title>My first HTML document</title>
         <link......>
         <script .....>
         <style .....>
       </head>
       <body>
          <P>Hello world!
       </body>
    </html>
    see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html
    Last edited by abduraooft; 07-15-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    The Dream is not what you see in sleep; Dream is the thing which doesn't let you sleep. --(Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam)

  • #7
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abduraooft View Post
    The structure of HTML document should be some thing like
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>
       <head>
          <title>My first HTML document</title>
         <link......>
         <script .....>
         <style .....>
       </head>
       <body>
          <P>Hello world!
       </body>
    </html>
    how will that help the positioning of the flash and nav bar?

  • #8
    Supreme Master coder! abduraooft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,852
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    have you checked the link posted by rafiki ?
    The Dream is not what you see in sleep; Dream is the thing which doesn't let you sleep. --(Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam)

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abduraooft View Post
    have you checked the link posted by rafiki ?
    Sorry I dont understand the terms 'mark up' like I said i'm a bit of a newby

  • #10
    Supreme Master coder! abduraooft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,852
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Click on that link and it's all talking about the errors in your page. I've give a solution to rectify it. Please help us to get help.
    The Dream is not what you see in sleep; Dream is the thing which doesn't let you sleep. --(Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam)

  • #11
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Macintosh Ie

    IE is known to have issues, and many sites are built around it. However, sometimes a site will be incorrectly coded, but IE will display it anyways. (IE is NOT W3C compliant)

    Markup is the HTML code and tags (HTML=Hypertext Markup Language).

    The W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium, and is the governing body on web standards. They set what is and isn't allowed in code. Web browsers are based, among others, on how well they conform to W3C Standards. This is done so that every browser that is W3C compliant will show pages exactly the same, hence IEs problem.

    Your code can also be validated for errors. The errors come from a DTD, or Document Type Definition, which says what is and isn't allowed in the code.

    The link given to you by rafiki http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...years_ahead%2F is W3Cs validator.

    It shows you errors on the page. Fix those errors, than work on getting the site right. One tip: Do NOT build the site for IE as IE is, as I set, NOT W3C compliant. Build it for Firefox or Safari and than work out the kinks in IE. It will be much easier that way.

    (Programs like Dreamweaver have tools built in to verify if a site is compliant with a browser, as well as the W3C.)

    Hope this helped.

    -MacWiz

  • #12
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macwiz View Post
    IE is known to have issues, and many sites are built around it. However, sometimes a site will be incorrectly coded, but IE will display it anyways. (IE is NOT W3C compliant)

    Markup is the HTML code and tags (HTML=Hypertext Markup Language).

    The W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium, and is the governing body on web standards. They set what is and isn't allowed in code. Web browsers are based, among others, on how well they conform to W3C Standards. This is done so that every browser that is W3C compliant will show pages exactly the same, hence IEs problem.

    Your code can also be validated for errors. The errors come from a DTD, or Document Type Definition, which says what is and isn't allowed in the code.

    The link given to you by rafiki http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chappo.co.uk%2Fyears_ahead%2F is W3Cs validator.

    It shows you errors on the page. Fix those errors, than work on getting the site right. One tip: Do NOT build the site for IE as IE is, as I set, NOT W3C compliant. Build it for Firefox or Safari and than work out the kinks in IE. It will be much easier that way.

    (Programs like Dreamweaver have tools built in to verify if a site is compliant with a browser, as well as the W3C.)

    Hope this helped.

    -MacWiz
    Thanks MacWiz that clears up alot. Thanks to you I got it working...

    although I still have errors but I can work on them later...

    New problem now though... Firefox/IE issues....

    see the new topic i posted.

  • #13
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonChaplin View Post
    Thanks MacWiz that clears up alot. Thanks to you I got it working...

    although I still have errors but I can work on them later...

    New problem now though... Firefox/IE issues....

    see the new topic i posted.
    Where is the new topic?


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •