Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    IE not rendering CSS

    Hi there,

    I just finished a prototype for a client's project after a long day of hard work. When I test the site, it gives me great results in Firefox, but Internet Explorer is just not displaying anything but text. I'm really tired of this and I will appreciate any help. Here are the urls and feel free to see the code for the CSS.

    http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/index.html
    http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/about.html

    My testing machine is running Vista and the latest web browsers from MS and Mozila
    Last edited by treigh; 01-01-2008 at 01:34 AM.

  • #2
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    W3's validator reports an invalid character encoding. [(modx_charset)] will be replaced by a proper character encoding when being served up by ModX, but it's causing IE to produce errors here. See if temporarily putting in the correct character encoding fixes things.

  • Users who have thanked Rambling for this post:

    treigh (01-01-2008)

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Yeah, I'm almost positive it's because of the <base> tag. IE is trying to find your style sheets, images, etc at [(site_url)] instead of the domain. That's also why no images work either. FF is just good at getting around mistakes, so it's likely just ignoring the <base>. Get rid of the <base> tag, or if you absolutely need it, make it something valid like <base href="http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/" />.
    Last edited by Majoracle; 01-01-2008 at 02:41 AM.

  • Users who have thanked Majoracle for this post:

    treigh (01-01-2008)

  • #4
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you so much Rambling & Majoracle,

    I can't believe I didn't notice it. It was so obvious, I guess I was tired, but replacing [(modx_charset)] with a valid character encoding and getting rid of the <base> tag (and leave that job to my CMS) fixed the issue .

    Thanks and I'm gonna recap it for everyone. I guess IE is really just good at stealing tabs menu from FF, but not so smart when it comes to rendering unknown properties.

    So here's a recap for everyone else in a similar situation:

    IE was unable to render my css codes when testing a sample website.
    the issue, as Rambling & Majoracle pointed out, was caused by having some special tags in the head section for my CMS.
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=[(modx_charset)]" />
    <base href="[(site_url)]"></base> .
    Our good friend Firefox knew how to get around it, but as usual, IE failed us again.

    I just removed my special tags and will include them in my code when I'm ready to feed it to my CMS.

    Thanks again
    Last edited by treigh; 01-01-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: it worked!


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •