Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: News feeds?

  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    News feeds?

    How do I create my own news feed with my own content and place it where I want on my website without having to write and make a new page every single time? The news being posted would be very frequent.

    I've been trying to figure out how to create an RSS feed and place that inside my site, but I'm struggling.

    Will I have to create for example 100 html pages for 100 different updates? Surely there is an easier way.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  • #2
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedr0BatemaN View Post
    How do I create my own news feed with my own content and place it where I want on my website without having to write and make a new page every single time? The news being posted would be very frequent.

    I've been trying to figure out how to create an RSS feed and place that inside my site, but I'm struggling.

    Will I have to create for example 100 html pages for 100 different updates? Surely there is an easier way.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Are you sure you don't just want a blog?

  • #3
    Master Coder mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    9,387
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Two RSS creation posts in one day ...
    Here's the other post:
    RSS Feeds - Live

    Your situation may be the same as the other poster.

    How do you update your news? Are you using a content management system (CMS),
    or are you updating manually, using Dreamweaver or something not automated?

    In your case, being a "news blog" type of site ... you should be using WordPress.
    That would solve all of your RSS needs, and make a searchable, automated, and
    easy to administer news site.

    Gabfire has the best WordPress News/newspaper/article themes. They cost money
    to buy the themes, but it's worth it: http://www.gabfirethemes.com/

    You install WordPress, and then install the theme you want. It's not very hard to do.
    Your webhost may already have an automated system to install WP for you automatically.


    .

  • #4
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not really an RSS I'm after, and I'm definitely not after a blog. This is a perfect example of the type of newsboard I want working http://www.wrestlingexposed.com/ do I really have to create each page manually?

  • #5
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Don't be fooled: a newsboard is a blog, no matter what name it is shrouded in. Any simple blogging software would do as you want.

    I'm not sure how you expected it to work. Of course you need to pen a new post to create a new post. You can, if you want, simply write a title with no content, but it's not exactly expert/appealing reporting.

  • #6
    Master Coder mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    9,387
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Post #1
    How do I create my own news feed with my own content ... I've been trying to figure out how to create an RSS feed and place that inside my site, but I'm struggling.

    Post #4
    It's not really an RSS I'm after, and I'm definitely not after a blog.






    .

  • #7
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Post #1
    How do I create my own news feed with my own content ... I've been trying to figure out how to create an RSS feed and place that inside my site, but I'm struggling.

    Post #4
    It's not really an RSS I'm after, and I'm definitely not after a blog.






    .
    It's because the type of newsboard I need I really don't know what to call it. I don't know whether it is RSS or not? I don't know whether I have to completely start from scratch and write it myself? I'm no coding whizz, I only started this to see if I could actually create a website and it turns out I could. This is the last part now that is nagging at me.

  • #8
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropartheid View Post
    Don't be fooled: a newsboard is a blog, no matter what name it is shrouded in. Any simple blogging software would do as you want.

    I'm not sure how you expected it to work. Of course you need to pen a new post to create a new post. You can, if you want, simply write a title with no content, but it's not exactly expert/appealing reporting.
    The problem is a lot of different people have a lot of content they want to be able to post to the newsboard, so I really want to have easy access for them to post it in the right section of my website. Right now the only way I can do it (with my serious lack of knowledge) is to take the content, rewrite it in html, and link it up on my site myself.

  • #9
    Master Coder mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    9,387
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 1,068 Posts
    So you'll need a "member registration" system so they can log-in, and then a
    CMS file upload system so they can upload their news story. That will involve
    PHP scripting and MySQL. Are they only uploading plain text? Or, does their uploads
    involve media, like videos and photos?

    All being said ... this is what WordPress is all about.


    .

  • #10
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I installed Wordpress on my server. Like I said I really don't know what I'm doing, I started this just to see if I COULD create a webpage (turned out HTML and CSS was pretty easy) so I apologise for sounding like a complete retard.

    Ideally what I want to do is leave my mainpage which is HTML alone and have the items posted in wordpress placed neatly where I want them within that mainpage. No other blog features, just the posts. Pretty much like the link I posted.

    Is this possible with Wordpress?

  • #11
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedr0BatemaN View Post
    I installed Wordpress on my server. Like I said I really don't know what I'm doing, I started this just to see if I COULD create a webpage (turned out HTML and CSS was pretty easy) so I apologise for sounding like a complete retard.

    Ideally what I want to do is leave my mainpage which is HTML alone and have the items posted in wordpress placed neatly where I want them within that mainpage. No other blog features, just the posts. Pretty much like the link I posted.

    Is this possible with Wordpress?
    Yep, perfectly. There are a couple of required things you have to call--such as wp_head() and wp_footer(), which are hooks for WordPress plugins--but other than that, you have total freedom with your HTML.

  • #12
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. As long as I know I'm on the right track. I will keep playing around until I get what I want. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon, this has been driving me mad.

  • #13
    Master Coder mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    9,387
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I would say that you'll be up against a learning curve with this.
    Not only learning WP, but also some PHP, CSS, HTML, etc.

    It's beneficial for you to learn this stuff ... but expect some frustration.
    I didn't realize you were just "starting out". You'll really need to get something
    online that we can see, in order to help you out with how things work.

  • #14
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Even though you may need to learn some coding you can more than likelu pick things up as you go along. Trial and error can be the best way to learn and like you I started out but with no knowledge whatsoever but slowly I have picked things up and learnt by my mistakes. Just see how you go, don't quit before you even get started.

  • #15
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think you can use rss 2 link website.
    It creates RSS from links for you
    Code:
    links2rss.com
    Check it out


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •