Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question How do you work with clients?

    I might be creating a website for a local neighborhood association, and even though I haven't been chosen to design the site yet, I still want an answer to this...

    When you make a site for someone and they want to add new content (like a news post), do you just build a site and tell them something like "edit index.html and type your article between the code that looks like this", or do you have them ask you to add content for them?

    Opinions and thoughts are good, better than a static article written in '04. And I may be a bit young for this stuff, but I have no way to learn proper web design tactics outside of my free time, since my school seems behind the times and college is a ways off.

    Thanks in advance! It means a lot!

  • #2
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukedraik View Post
    I might be creating a website for a local neighborhood association, and even though I haven't been chosen to design the site yet, I still want an answer to this...

    When you make a site for someone and they want to add new content (like a news post), do you just build a site and tell them something like "edit index.html and type your article between the code that looks like this", or do you have them ask you to add content for them?

    Opinions and thoughts are good, better than a static article written in '04. And I may be a bit young for this stuff, but I have no way to learn proper web design tactics outside of my free time, since my school seems behind the times and college is a ways off.

    Thanks in advance! It means a lot!
    the decision depend of how often need changes and how much content must be in that site along it's life,
    be aware that usualy people start with something like, "we want only few pages and we don't need to change anything" but soon they want a portal when they see what is done,

    best regards

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, being a neighborhood site, I'd expect them to have a few pages and update rarely. Especially for this neighborhood.

    Thanks for the advice!

  • #4
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukedraik View Post
    Yeah, being a neighborhood site, I'd expect them to have a few pages and update rarely. Especially for this neighborhood.

    Thanks for the advice!
    even when are only two users things tends to become complex soon,
    "wow is't cool, what if we ....",
    the hardest thing is to guess where all this will go and when they will be stoped and how.
    Big things start from small things, That don't mean that any small thing will become big but you don't want to lose one of this,

    best regards

  • #5
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
    I recommend using a CMS for it, build your own.

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofollies View Post
    I recommend using a CMS for it, build your own.
    CMS... I think I could build one, but I only know Python right now so I'd have to hope their host has support for it...

    A CMS would be like on some sites where they have an admin log-in to edit the pages, right? And I assume it goes to a form that sends the data to some cgi file that writes the changes to the page, right? (Sorry if my terminology is off a bit.)


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •