Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Best CMS- Wordpress, drupal, ExpEng...???

    Hello,
    I am trying to decide on a content management system (CMS- ex. wordpress) that would best suit my needs. I do NOT want a blogging software. I would like to have a news section- for updates and such- as a blog but I would like everything else to be static for the most part. I want to be able to incorporate scripts (PHP, javascript, etc.) later on so I can't have a 'text only' CMS- if there is such a thing.

    I would also like a relatively large database of pre-made templates that I can tweak to my own needs.

    CMSs that I have already tried:
    Expression Engine
    Wordpress

    CMSs that I am currently testing:
    Drupal

    CMSs that I am interested in: (will try soon)
    <none>

    CMSs that I am NOT interested in/don't want to try:
    <none>

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ian
    Last edited by EchoLynx; 03-12-2008 at 08:52 PM.

  • #2
    WA
    WA is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Well, I've tried out EE, Wordpress, and Drupal, all 3 quite extensively in the past. My conclusion in terms of flexibility, from best to worst:

    EE
    Drupal
    Wordpress

    Unless you're setting up a blog, I think you can cross Wordpress out of your list of choices. EE definitely is the most versatile once you get the hang of it in terms of letting you dictate how things should look and be arranged on your site. The only downside is the lack of quality 3rd party plugins when you wish to go beyond what EE itself offers, such as Ajax ratings or Polls.
    - George
    - JavaScript Kit- JavaScript tutorials and 400+ scripts!
    - JavaScript Reference- JavaScript reference you can relate to.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have finished setting up Drupal and have tested it some and from what I can tell this is my best bet. Has a load of modules to plug in, nice editable themes, and it's not extremely flexible/complicated.

    I am going to go with Drupal, and see where that leads. Please feel free to post other recommendations as I will still check this thread for alternatives.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    WordPress isn't even officially a CMS - it is built primarily as a blogging tool. Although it can be leveraged as a basic CMS, it just doesn't compare to full-time CMS systems such as Drupal.

    I have not used Drupal myself, but from what I have read it is a quite popular and flexible entry in the CMS arena.

  • #5
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,642
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Palin View Post
    WordPress isn't even officially a CMS - it is built primarily as a blogging tool. Although it can be leveraged as a basic CMS, it just doesn't compare to full-time CMS systems such as Drupal.
    Yeah, it’s funny how the OP is talking about CMSs and how he explicitly doesn’t want a blogging software, and uses Wordpress as first example in the same sentence…

    Anyway, a simple and free, yet powerful CMS I’ve made good experiences with is CMSmadesimple. Easy to install, easy to customize, easy to handle. Plus, there are a lot of modules (add-ons/extensions, however you wanna call it) you can install to extend your site.

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I realize now that wordpress is a blogging software. That's why I dumped it.

    As for CMSmadesimple, I will certainly check it out- thanks!

    -Ian

  • #7
    Senior Coder gnomeontherun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,846
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 238 Times in 229 Posts
    I've been a huge fan of Joomla!, and I am pretty sure it has one of the largest followings out there. There are tons of extensions, and its ranked in the top 3 with Drupal and CMSmadesimple [OS CMS Award].

    Essentially I suggest checking out this site to see demos of dozens of CMSs (I'm not sure how you pluralize that?), and at least it will give you a quick taste and maybe allow you to rule some off the list.

    http://www.opensourcecms.com/
    jeremy - gnomeontherun
    Educated questions often get educated answers, and simple questions often get simple answers.

  • #8
    WA
    WA is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Drupal is very impressive I agree, and I'm basing that comment on the very last version before 2.0 was released. With v2.0 I think you're definitely in good hands going with it.
    - George
    - JavaScript Kit- JavaScript tutorials and 400+ scripts!
    - JavaScript Reference- JavaScript reference you can relate to.

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WA View Post
    Drupal is very impressive I agree, and I'm basing that comment on the very last version before 2.0 was released. With v2.0 I think you're definitely in good hands going with it.
    Yes, and keep in mind that we are now in Drupal v6.1- lots has been changed. Now, I never saw the 2.0- or even the 5.7- but from what I can guess (over XX,000 revisions before release) the changes are improvements.

  • #10
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywilken View Post
    I've been a huge fan of Joomla!, and I am pretty sure it has one of the largest followings out there. There are tons of extensions, and its ranked in the top 3 with Drupal and CMSmadesimple [OS CMS Award].

    Essentially I suggest checking out this site to see demos of dozens of CMSs (I'm not sure how you pluralize that?), and at least it will give you a quick taste and maybe allow you to rule some off the list.

    http://www.opensourcecms.com/
    I have already been to oscms and I agree that it is a wonderful resource. However, I have tried Joomla! and decided that- like ExpEng- it is too flexible for a newbie like me. (Flexibility is pretty much synonymous with complexity in this case.)

  • #11
    WA
    WA is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Data Dragon View Post
    Yes, and keep in mind that we are now in Drupal v6.1- lots has been changed. Now, I never saw the 2.0- or even the 5.7- but from what I can guess (over XX,000 revisions before release) the changes are improvements.
    Ops, that's what I meant actually, v6.0 The version I'm familiar with and have used is 5.7 then.
    - George
    - JavaScript Kit- JavaScript tutorials and 400+ scripts!
    - JavaScript Reference- JavaScript reference you can relate to.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •