Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts

    Apple equals Microsoft

    Link
    If you don't know, market capitalization is the value of a company. It's computed by taking the number of market shares outstanding and multiplying them by the stock price. Apple is within about 2% of Microsoft. Apple also has more cash on hand. Hmm.

  • #2
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    If only a company's stock price had anything to do with the actual value of a company. That would be nice.

  • #3
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    If only a company's stock price had anything to do with the actual value of a company.
    Market capitalization IS the actual financial value of the company.

  • #4
    Senior Coder TheShaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,126
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Market capitalization IS the actual financial value of the company.
    Incorrect. Market capitalization is a MARKET ESTIMATE of the company's financial value and only includes equity. It can also be swayed by public opinion with something like a future/current release, i.e. Apple's iPad.

    Enterprise Value is more comprehensive because it takes into account all other factors of a business, like debt.

    That being said, searches for Enterprise Value led me to Yahoo finances, which says Apple's EV is 201.38B (yCharts: $200.60B), while Microsoft's is 199.04B (yCharts: $196.73B). I would say that is much more impressive than comparing market capitalizations of the two companies.

    This article was written March, 26, 2010, but is relevant to what we're talking about here.

    -Shane

  • #5
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Market capitalization IS the actual financial value of the company.
    Market capitalization is a MARKET ESTIMATE of the company's financial value
    Gee, Shaner. I'm glad I have you around to call me incorrect on such statements. You are just so good at this. Like you had a dictionary or something. Not that I think you have any real experience or knowledge of this.

  • #6
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,665
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Not that I think you have any real experience or knowledge of this.
    That’s the point. How do you come to the conclusion that you are the only one who’s omniscient?

  • #7
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPStephan View Post
    That’s the point. How do you come to the conclusion that you are the only one who’s omniscient?
    Don't be insulting. Defining what market cap is, and then have him come back with the same definition while calling mine wrong, does not make me "omniscient" nor does it make him knowledgeable. Did you just come here to insult me or did you even bother to notice his word for word is almost the same as mine?

    I've been trading stocks since the late 90s. What's your experience? What's Shaner's?

  • #8
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    Drdr who spit in your cheerios this morning? Good lord.

  • #9
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    Drdr who spit in your cheerios this morning? Good lord.
    VIP and Shaner did.

  • #10
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Market capitalization IS the actual financial value of the company.
    BTW I wasn't talking about "financial" value but "actual" value... the actual value has little to do with what its market value (or market cap, or whatever you want to call it) is. Are you seriously going to say you can take a company's assets and equity and debt and whatever else contributes to a company's actual value and it will equal stock price * shares? LOLipops.

  • #11
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,665
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 979 Posts
    The whole is more than just the sum of its parts.
    Or: quantity != quality.

  • #12
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 304 Times in 303 Posts
    I just love grumpy git threads.

  • #13
    Senior Coder TheShaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,126
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Gee, Shaner. I'm glad I have you around to call me incorrect on such statements. You are just so good at this. Like you had a dictionary or something. Not that I think you have any real experience or knowledge of this.
    If you're going to correct someone as if you know all, then you better fact check your own arrogant statements. Your statement saying that market cap is the same as the "ACTUAL financial value of the company" is wrong - it's an estimate based on their public shares. You should have learned this when you were trading during the dot-com bubble.

    Anyway, I'm glad you continue to enjoy my presence here, and are still so gracious when receiving criticism. It wouldn't be the same if I weren't able to get under your skin anymore

    If everyone agreed with everyone's opinions, this would be a pretty boring place. I just happen to disagree with you more than I disagree with others because you allow your pride and "self-appointed superiority" to dominate your personality here, which yields extremely partial posts and sarcastic, arrogant responses from you.

    Regardless, I still enjoy your threads because conflict and debate are what make things interesting. You're the shock jock of the forums, and people continue to tune in to your posts just to see what you'll say next. I'm sure your ego enjoys at least that bit of attention, haha.

    I'll be around Howard

    -Shane

  • #14
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShaner View Post
    If you're going to correct someone as if you know all, then you better fact check your own arrogant statements.
    Rather than run to a dictionary like you had to do and act like you know something? You don't know that those are the numbers followed by those who track the market and those who are trying to value a company. You want to act all superior because you nit-pick that, when a company is valued for, say, purchase, far more is put into the valuation of that company, but you ignore that these valuations also play part when companies are bought/sold. It's petty ignorance on your part that makes life here difficult and plays into your childish playground bully antics and shows your character.

    Rather than go with what the thread is about, you hijack it to inflate YOUR ego. To make you act like the big man on campus. You can't comment on the topic because you don't know anything about it. Therefore, you had to pick a fight to make you look good. How small of you.

  • #15
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 304 Times in 303 Posts
    No real point to this post, but I just thought it might lighten the tone a tad.














  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •