Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Coder tomws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,644
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 330 Times in 326 Posts

    Be careful who you code for

    If you're familiar with at least headlines, you know something about the Bernie Madoff scheme that has been in the news for the last year or so. The arrests related to the scam have continued even after his 150 year prison sentence.

    Now, two programmers have been charged with criminal offenses that "carry maximum prison sentences of 30 years and millions of dollars in fines". Why? In short, because they created custom code for the Madoff firm to use in their scam.

    While it's unlikely that many of us will ever run into something that large, it still ought to make us think twice when considering customer requests. These guys lived large for a while, but I'd bet they're headed for the federal pen.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33909310...s-us_business/
    Are you a Help Vampire?

  • #2
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    Interesting, though the only way you could be culpable is if you knew you were participating in fraud. I'm not sure the law backs me up on this but logically that's the way it should work.

    Otherwise you could arrest the milkman for delivering milk to Madoff's house.

  • #3
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,273
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    Interesting, though the only way you could be culpable is if you knew you were participating in fraud. I'm not sure the law backs me up on this but logically that's the way it should work.

    Otherwise you could arrest the milkman for delivering milk to Madoff's house.
    or the car companies for making the cars he used to drive to meet with his victims.
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #4
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    Interesting, though the only way you could be culpable is if you knew you were participating in fraud. I'm not sure the law backs me up on this but logically that's the way it should work.

    Otherwise you could arrest the milkman for delivering milk to Madoff's house.
    In this case based on the article, there was a high probability they knew what they were doing was illegal. They wrote the programs that were critical to the success of the deception. So the Nuremberg defense doesn't really work.
    OracleGuy

  • #5
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster View Post
    or the car companies for making the cars he used to drive to meet with his victims.
    Or the farmers who gathered food, the FDA for approving the food, the distributor for supplying the food, the cook for preparing the food, McDonalds for selling him the food, and all of McDonalds' customers who have ever purchased food from McDonalds allowing them to stay in business and conduct their evil schemes with the farmers to sell food to Madoff just so he could eat enough to stay alive and victimize poor, unwilling folk.


    So yeah... no worries here.

  • #6
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    GERMANY
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    150 years haha. I don't understand these ridiculous sentences. How do you serve 150 years?

  • #7
    Regular Coder brad211987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OGGordon View Post
    150 years haha. I don't understand these ridiculous sentences. How do you serve 150 years?
    Once you die, they toss your kids in jail.

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    GERMANY
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brad211987 View Post
    Once you die, they toss your kids in jail.
    haha, what if you don't have any kids/relatives?

  • #9
    Regular Coder brad211987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OGGordon View Post
    haha, what if you don't have any kids/relatives?
    co-workers i hope? haha

  • #10
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Charles , MO
    Posts
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    or probably neighbors??? LOL

    just a thought, when you do hear these kind of sentences of courts - you would certainly like to ask "Your Honor, did you even bother thinking about the decision ??? "

  • #11
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Its probably to make sure they stay in prison, rather than when somone gets 10 years for murder but is out in 6 because of good behaviour.

    With 150 years there is no early parole

  • #12
    God Emperor Fou-Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    16,978
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 2,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eu4ria View Post
    Its probably to make sure they stay in prison, rather than when somone gets 10 years for murder but is out in 6 because of good behaviour.

    With 150 years there is no early parole
    Sure there is, just gotta wait 75 years to get it
    PHP Code:
    header('HTTP/1.1 420 Enhance Your Calm'); 

  • #13
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyjcb View Post
    or probably neighbors??? LOL

    just a thought, when you do hear these kind of sentences of courts - you would certainly like to ask "Your Honor, did you even bother thinking about the decision ??? "
    The problem is... a few hundred years ago when public executions were common, they would say things like "Blah blah blah, to be hung by the neck"... but they never put the "till death" part on it. So, when they fell, if the rope broke, they were allowed to go free... then someone caught on...

    The judge can't say "I sentence you to jail, until death". It's illegal. He has to give a number based on the number of offenses, and people simply have to hope they die. So, they basically say "I sentence you to 10 consecutive life sentences", life sentence being anywhere from like 20 to 50 years or something like that, idf remember. But yeah... it's a legal loophole for them to sound nice... and such.

  • #14
    Senior Coder o0O0o.o0O0o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    C:\Windows\System32
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Code:
    haha, what if you don't have any kids/relatives?
    I think then they will force you to have kids first
    Please de-reputate me
    0o0o0o0

    Its better to rule in Hell then to serve in Heaven

  • #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Web Designer
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomws View Post
    If you're familiar with at least headlines, you know something about the Bernie Madoff scheme that has been in the news for the last year or so. The arrests related to the scam have continued even after his 150 year prison sentence.

    Now, two programmers have been charged with criminal offenses that "carry maximum prison sentences of 30 years and millions of dollars in fines". Why? In short, because they created custom code for the Madoff firm to use in their scam.

    While it's unlikely that many of us will ever run into something that large, it still ought to make us think twice when considering customer requests. These guys lived large for a while, but I'd bet they're headed for the federal pen.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33909310...s-us_business/
    Must be some crap law which is allowing it , if I code a web site as a freelance web designer , later the guy sells it a criminal and the web site is used to scam people , should I be held responsible ?


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •