Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: MacBook Wheel

  1. #1
    Regular Coder BoldUlysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 190 Times in 187 Posts

    MacBook Wheel

    As a Mac user, I was amused by this, although the "actual work" quip near the end was kind of a low blow.
    matt | design | blog

  • #2
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    I don't think it was that low: it was just highlighting the wheel's pointlessness rather than a perceived lack of production from Macs.

    I did enjoy that (saw it on Lifehacker). My favourites are "the attractive peanut farmer marked the term paper" on the spelling suggestions and "I'll buy anything as long as it's shiny and made by Apple!"

  • #3
    Regular Coder borntoslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    192.168.0.2
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    What a load of junk, can you imagione how annoying that will get. IS this really going into production?
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lost in Localhost...
    Posts
    702
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    I was so pleased at the end when I realised it wasn't actually a real product...

  • #5
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,634
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoslow View Post
    What a load of junk, can you imagione how annoying that will get. IS this really going into production?
    You should watch it again (and from start to end) and also read the comments below the video…

    This is funny, indeed. At first I thought like: “Eh? It would have to take ages to type something. And the longer I watched it the clearer it became to me. However, they must have really produced that Macbook at least once for the show as this seems to be a real MacBook Wheel (with actual functionality).

    But as some people in YouTube’s comments pointed out there would probably – most likely – be people that would actually buy such a crap. As stupid the crap you sell is, there’s always someone even more stupid that would actually buy it.

  • #6
    Regular Coder BoldUlysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 190 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPStephan View Post
    However, they must have really produced that Macbook at least once for the show as this seems to be a real MacBook Wheel (with actual functionality).
    I was really impressed by the thoroughness that seems to have gone into the clip... The Onion really did a bang-up job making the "prototype," creating the fake graphical interface, the fake trade show and finding the Apple-looking spokesman. It's very convincing.
    matt | design | blog

  • #7
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    5,575
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
    Except for the fact the Onion news logo kinda revealed that it was a spoof. Impressive spoof, mind you.
    liorean <[lio@wg]>
    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    It made me chuckle, and all the people that thought it was a real product made me chuckle even more! Great vid!

  • #9
    Regular Coder FWDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msuffern View Post
    quip near the end was kind of a low blow.
    It's ok, XKCD delivered again and gave us this gem
    Dev-Tips.com || Employee at the Envato Network || My Portfolio

  • #10
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    5,211
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 201 Times in 197 Posts
    I laughed when he showed the alphabetical list of everything on the HD. He said that everything in your computer is just a couple of hundred clicks away.

    lol.

    bazz
    "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

    Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
    Useful MySQL resource
    Useful MySQL link

  • #11
    Senior Coder gnomeontherun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,846
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 238 Times in 229 Posts
    Yes well the Onion only reports fake news, one of my favorite RSS feeds.

    I love the Onion.

    PS I'm not a mac hater, just not a bandwagon mac fan. I think this was very much appropriate, as many people (like my wife) claim macs are so great but know so little about why they use them.
    jeremy - gnomeontherun
    Educated questions often get educated answers, and simple questions often get simple answers.

  • #12
    Regular Coder FWDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywilken View Post
    Yes well the Onion only reports fake news, one of my favorite RSS feeds.

    I love the Onion.

    PS I'm not a mac hater, just not a bandwagon mac fan. I think this was very much appropriate, as many people (like my wife) claim macs are so great but know so little about why they use them.
    I enjoy the onion as well and saw it as slightly funny. But really, I am sick and tired of all the stupid arguments/debates about mac vs. pc vs. linux

    Why the hell it matters to other people what brand of computer or OS someone has is beyond me, like it is really any of their business anyway. Use what you like and get over it. Act like an adult. I happen to use both, prefer macs, and I don't take shots at people who use the PC.

    I'm not pointing my comments to anyone in this thread, just some of my observations and feelings in general.

    Sorry for the rant, but it's something I have been thinking about.

    Drew
    Dev-Tips.com || Employee at the Envato Network || My Portfolio

  • #13
    Senior Coder gnomeontherun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,846
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 238 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FWDrew View Post
    I enjoy the onion as well and saw it as slightly funny. But really, I am sick and tired of all the stupid arguments/debates about mac vs. pc vs. linux

    Why the hell it matters to other people what brand of computer or OS someone has is beyond me, like it is really any of their business anyway. Use what you like and get over it. Act like an adult. I happen to use both, prefer macs, and I don't take shots at people who use the PC.

    I'm not pointing my comments to anyone in this thread, just some of my observations and feelings in general.

    Sorry for the rant, but it's something I have been thinking about.

    Drew
    Cheers! People should use whatever hardware, software, and devices they wish. That includes using IE if you like it best. Right on Drew.

    Oh and I don't like the new I'm a PC ads, just like I didn't like the I'm a mac ads, advertising is what makes most of us prefer one thing to another, since the masses are easily pliable...
    jeremy - gnomeontherun
    Educated questions often get educated answers, and simple questions often get simple answers.

  • #14
    Regular Coder borntoslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    192.168.0.2
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    This goes to show that i shouldt throw my opinion around having watched the clip with no sound.

    I just sat with my jaw open thinking...this cant be for real.

    Well 1 - 0 to onion then, sigh.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

  • #15
    Regular Coder FWDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywilken View Post
    Cheers! People should use whatever hardware, software, and devices they wish. That includes using IE if you like it best. Right on Drew.

    Oh and I don't like the new I'm a PC ads, just like I didn't like the I'm a mac ads, advertising is what makes most of us prefer one thing to another, since the masses are easily pliable...
    Thanks man, glad someone agrees

    I'm totally with you on the ads, I really have never cared for either of the commercials.
    Dev-Tips.com || Employee at the Envato Network || My Portfolio


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •