Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Disappearing post?

    I asked a question in this thread Editing Javascript Image Gallery which Old Pendant answered. When I posted the final code to let users know how I used his answer it never appeared. Please let me know why.

  • #2
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    We've had to institute some pretty strong spam filters due to a never-ending flood of it. Your posts (the original and duplicate in the thread you mentioned) were among the posts that ended up in the moderator queue. Even this post in the Forum Feedback forum ended up in the moderator queue!

    I've gone ahead and approved the one post of yours in that thread and deleted the other one since it was a duplicate. Although it can sometimes take a few hours to get posts approved, depending on when moderators can get to them, please have some patience. We'll see and approve legitimate posts eventually. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question

    My post is also disappears. How I can be sure that my post will be not as SPAM? Is there any guidelines about this?

  • #4
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sandipcd View Post
    My post is also disappears. How I can be sure that my post will be not as SPAM? Is there any guidelines about this?
    The owners/administrators of this forum are always looking at ways to tweak the spam filters so that legitimate posts are not put in the moderator queue. In the meantime, I would just say to give the moderators time to review and approve legitimate posts like yours.

    Since you posted here, it appears that whatever post(s) of yours that were in the moderator queue have now been approved.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #5
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
    We've had to institute some pretty strong spam filters due to a never-ending flood of it. Your posts (the original and duplicate in the thread you mentioned) were among the posts that ended up in the moderator queue. Even this post in the Forum Feedback forum ended up in the moderator queue!

    I've gone ahead and approved the one post of yours in that thread and deleted the other one since it was a duplicate. Although it can sometimes take a few hours to get posts approved, depending on when moderators can get to them, please have some patience. We'll see and approve legitimate posts eventually. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Thank you. The first post appeared within 24 hours but after 2 days for the second I thought the spam filter or something might have got it. I also couldn't see a sticky or anything in the rules relating to moderating posts although I might have missed it.

  • #6
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    There is an announcement about this at the top of each of the forums. Hopefully, this thread will be one more way people will see what we're trying to do about this problem.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #7
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
    There is an announcement about this at the top of each of the forums. Hopefully, this thread will be one more way people will see what we're trying to do about this problem.
    That's great. Although when I post it says 'Posts from new users will be moderated', the only bit I would add would be: (edit as you feel fit)

    "Attention all CF peasants:

    We have recently put into place much more aggressive and effective spam prevention measures. This is why we are seeing far less spam now. A side effect to that however is that occasionally your thread or post might get auto flagged for moderation. Do not worry. If this happens it means that your thread or post will not show up immediately until we have approved it.

    If you are a new user your first few posts will be auto flagged for moderation. Again, as long as your not a spam bot, the post will show up once we've approved it so please be patient.

    That is all.

    Move along now!

    Nothing more to see here."

  • #8
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryon View Post
    If you are a new user your first few posts will be auto flagged for moderation.
    To the best of my knowledge, posts from new users are not auto flagged for moderation. For one thing, that would place a great burden on the moderators here. For another, the vast majority of new users are not spammers, so I don't think auto flagging their posts would be a very effective anti-spam measure, and in the long run would do more harm than good.

    There is a fine line between relaxing the spam filters and opening the flood gates to unwanted posts and thereby making these forums unusable. From my perspective, making users wait up to a few hours for their posts to be visible is a small price to pay to keep these forums viable.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #9
    God Emperor Fou-Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    16,978
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 2,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, posts from new users are not auto flagged for moderation. For one thing, that would place a great burden on the moderators here. For another, the vast majority of new users are not spammers, so I don't think auto flagging their posts would be a very effective anti-spam measure, and in the long run would do more harm than good.

    There is a fine line between relaxing the spam filters and opening the flood gates to unwanted posts and thereby making these forums unusable. From my perspective, making users wait up to a few hours for their posts to be visible is a small price to pay to keep these forums viable.
    Yep. From what I can tell, effectively if you post a link of pretty much any kind, and the user is a new user, than the post will end up in queue. It also appears to do this with modifications to posts that were originally not queued.
    I think this is a fair balance overall. We'll see more queues specifically in the client side forums, but the reduction in spam is quite notice-able.

  • #10
    Regular Coder stevenmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    This is some what off topic, but I hadn't seen the announcement until I read this thread. Am I the only one who was literally laughing? Just the way he handled it. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster
    Attention all CF peasants:

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster
    That is all.

    Move along now!

    Nothing more to see here.
    Thanks!

  • #11
    God Emperor Fou-Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    16,978
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 2,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenmw View Post
    This is some what off topic, but I hadn't seen the announcement until I read this thread. Am I the only one who was literally laughing? Just the way he handled it. LOL
    That's spooks for ya; at least he didn't threaten to put you in the dungeon like he does with the moderators

  • #12
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Yeah, Spookster does have a way with words, doesn't he?
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #13
    Regular Coder stevenmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    497
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    vinyl-junkie I really like your website. I've been browsing around it during class. LOL
    Thanks!

  • #14
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenmw View Post
    vinyl-junkie I really like your website. I've been browsing around it during class. LOL
    Thanks, Steven. I've neglected it terribly in recent months though. Oh, to have more hours in the day to work on it!
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •