Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts

    Can we have a Help! and Newbie! filter, please?

    Hi,

    Could we please have a javascript installed that alerts and returns false if the title of a newly posted thread contains the word 'help' or 'newbie' or a spelling variance of them? The pinkish Reminder under the entry form obviously doesn't work.

    Thanks in advance!
    Frank

    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

  • #2
    Super Moderator Inigoesdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,647
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 406 Times in 398 Posts
    Not likely. That could result in a lot of false positives, and it's not really worth the effort IMO.

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigoesdr
    Not likely. That could result in a lot of false positives, and it's not really worth the effort IMO.
    Can you give a few examples of false positives? And what makes you say that it's not worth the - small - effort? Has there ever been done a survey on the matter?
    Frank

    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

  • #4
    God Emperor Fou-Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    16,987
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Can you give a few examples of false positives? And what makes you say that it's not worth the - small - effort? Has there ever been done a survey on the matter?
    Sure; an example of a false positive would be right here: Can we have a Help! and Newbie! filter, please?
    Filters are reserved for substantially reducing the amount of spam seen on the forums.
    When I reply to threads with poor titles, I'll remind the OP that they should choose a title the better describes the issue. Beyond this, I don't see a reason to implement any type of additional filters for them.

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Sure; an example of a false positive would be right here: Can we have a Help! and Newbie! filter, please?
    Smart, but if that's the only example you can come up with, the argument of false positives doesn't really hold, does it?

    When I reply to threads with poor titles, I'll remind the OP that they should choose a title the better describes the issue.
    I don't think I've seen even one moderator in action for that reason on the HTML/CSS forum since I joined, two months ago.

    Beyond this, I don't see a reason to implement any type of additional filters for them.
    How about saving those that answer the questions from an annoyance?

  • #6
    Senior Coder alykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,742
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 191 Times in 190 Posts
    how about a thread titled something similar to

    I an new to dev and would like help getting started
    in general web building

    or
    I an new to #### and would like help learning ####
    in any forum titled ####

    those are two very valid Q's that have come up. Just because they don't describe a "specific" problem, in reality they do... the "specific" problem is they are new, and have no idea what to do to start.

    Also I have no qualms about someone having a variance of "newbie" in their title... granted it is in our rules to be lax and lenient on individuals because they come here to learn- this still does not erase the fact that if some posts a question that others feel the answer is blatantly obvious (bc they have XP in it) that that person will get slammed for it. Posting "newbie" alert individuals who would put harsh/condescending responses and also alerts those who are more versed in explaining things to "newbies"
    I am by no means saying threads like
    Newbie HELP!!!!!
    should be allowed, and there is an entire thread in active lounge addressing such threads, but to rule out all "newbie" variances is a bad idea IMO

    the word "help" is an absolute negative... I would say 90% (if not more) of the thread topics here are about "asking for help" .... how can you remove a key word that makes asking for something more polite
    "I need help getting my Div's to be the correct width"
    "Could someone help me understand this toggle code"
    "I need help accessing my DB from my .cs file using ado"
    and that's a few seconds of thought...

    The inane titles annoy me, I'll admit, but it does not deter me helping that individual. If they bother you that much, don't read them

    Edit: Addendum

    also something like

    new button(); throws error
    would be broken by said proposal
    Last edited by alykins; 11-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.

    I code C hash-tag .Net
    Reference: W3C W3CWiki .Net Lib
    Validate: html CSS
    Debug: Chrome FireFox IE

  • #7
    God Emperor Fou-Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    16,987
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Smart, but if that's the only example you can come up with, the argument of false positives doesn't really hold, does it?
    Help me out ...How to add paymentgateway in joomla 1.5,?
    [PHP] News System - Help!
    please help limit unix_timestamp by last 7 days
    Help: undefined variables
    Help with a spacing issue on my blog
    Help with div layout..making the inner width of div expand?

    Just from the first page of the HTML/CSS and PHP forums. These are all sufficient for their titles, but I cannot see any on either forum's first page indicating bad titles overall (which yes I know also exist). These six threads would then have become moderated when there was no need for them to be. Can you post some examples that support your claim?
    From what I can see, there is no substantial evidence to suggest that there is a rampant thread title issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I don't think I've seen even one moderator in action for that reason on the HTML/CSS forum since I joined, two months ago.
    I won't go through 38 pages of posts in the past two months, but going through the first 6 or so I fail to see any problems with the titles. As I've said, there is no evidence to suggest that there is an overall title selection problem.
    Do not forget that just because you cannot see something doesn't mean that nothing has not been done. Some moderators are more ruthless than others, and some are more private than vocal. I choose to be forgiving and provide a public response to indicate that a thread title isn't sufficient; others will opt for communication via PM or issue infractions instead. PM's are only viewable by the individuals, and infractions only viewable by moderators, so just because you cannot see that action has occurred does not mean that it has not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    How about saving those that answer the questions from an annoyance?
    Again, there is no evidence to support your claim. One poor thread title per hundred is an acceptable threshold. If the problem were more like one per two, then yes there would be an issue.

    There is also nothing that forces you to read or acknowledge such a thread. It's well known that poor thread titles lead to no/less replies, or snide and curt responses. We have no rules that govern thread titles beyond the scope of illegal or objectionable content.

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 35 Posts
    Suit yourself, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of knowledgeable folks who would otherwise hang around every now and then to help others out now don't, because of those exaggerated cries for HELP!!! As if they are drowning!

  • #9
    Senior Coder coothead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    chertsey, a small town 25 miles south west of london, england.
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 233 Times in 228 Posts
    Hi there Frankie,

    one possible solution to your problem would be for you to put your name forward for a "post title moderator" position.

    You would then be able to edit all the titles that you considered to be inappropriate.

    coothead


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •