Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Coder NancyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bradford, UK
    Posts
    3,174
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 66 Times in 65 Posts

    Why no donate button?

    Like many people who come here regularly, I use adblock. I didn't even know we had banner ads til the 'scary ad' thread.
    Another forum I visit allows members who want to, to 'subscribe' for a small fee ($25 for a year) and for that they get a special forum tag, larger gallery size and file attachment size (not as relevant here I guess) and no banner ads.

    I don't know how difficult it would be to implement but they're on vBulletin too. It would just be nice to be able to support the site in a non-clicking on ads kind of way.

  • #2
    Mega-ultimate member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Winona, MN - The land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts
    1,855
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 45 Times in 42 Posts
    You could always use the "Post Reply" button! That's what I did right here

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    ... Maybe I missed something, but how is the "Post Reply" button related to donating to the costs of hosting this wonderful forum?

    Yes, you're "donating" your knowledge, in a sense, but that doesn't really help with the bills, now does it?

  • #4
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    5,575
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceramic View Post
    Yes, you're "donating" your knowledge, in a sense, but that doesn't really help with the bills, now does it?
    It does in the manner of making these forums contain more information that people may want to search for, thus bringing more users here...
    liorean <[lio@wg]>
    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

  • #5
    Senior Coder NancyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bradford, UK
    Posts
    3,174
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 66 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liorean View Post
    It does in the manner of making these forums contain more information that people may want to search for, thus bringing more users here...
    But more users mean more running costs

    I answer as many questions as I can but they're just too slow coming in

  • #6
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I support the donate button!


    Quote Originally Posted by Aceramic View Post
    ... Maybe I missed something, but how is the "Post Reply" button related to donating to the costs of hosting this wonderful forum?

    Yes, you're "donating" your knowledge, in a sense, but that doesn't really help with the bills, now does it?
    robots.txt

  • #7
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,278
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    For Bill...errr I mean "WA" money is not an issue.
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #8
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster View Post
    For Bill...errr I mean "WA" money is not an issue.
    Money being an issue isn't the issue, the issue is that there was never a donate button issued to these forums. It is bare, and wastelandish.

    But no seriously, a donate button wouldn't just be for WA, but... possibly to expand the forums, etc, without him having to dig into his own pockets.

    Why would you argue people wanting to give you money?

    (And I'm sure everyone here thinks it's crazy to do such)

  • #9
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,278
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Frost View Post
    Money being an issue isn't the issue, the issue is that there was never a donate button issued to these forums. It is bare, and wastelandish.

    But no seriously, a donate button wouldn't just be for WA, but... possibly to expand the forums, etc, without him having to dig into his own pockets.

    Why would you argue people wanting to give you money?

    (And I'm sure everyone here thinks it's crazy to do such)
    Inside joke.
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #10
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster View Post
    Inside joke.
    Gotcha.

  • #11
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookster View Post
    For Bill...errr I mean "WA" money is not an issue.
    Yeah, especially when you've been in Forbes so much.
    OracleGuy


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •