Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 2 of 2
08-31-2011, 09:50 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
- Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How to start with flash development
I am just starting with the flash development, I have been working on the java since last six years. The question is where do I start from.
- I just want to be in open source flash development
- Should I learn action script 2 or action script 3
- What is the good development setup, flashdevelop or eclipse with ASDT, I already know eclipse since last 5 years
My ultimate goal is to develop a client that will work with the red5 server. some thing like capturing webcam and streaming to the red5 and so.
What should i learn first and what tools will suite me better.
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2011
- Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First of all forget about AS 2 - nobody is using this old fashioned language.
So starting with AS 3.0 you need Flex SDK if you want it open-source, so:
Then you need to choose your IDE (flex is just an command line compiler + libs), two option are good your attention:
- FlashDevelop - it's a nice one but works on Windows only and you will need to configure it a bit
- Flash Builder (standard version) - based on eclipse (which you like), costs $249 (which you don't like) but there is no better solution for AS 3 development. Of course you can try to find some "patched" version for free
After all you need a book to start learning, so:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPla...t/3/index.html - believe me it's the only reliable source of knowledge
My little advice before you start working with apps based on Flex components, etc... Try to build few pure AS 3 applications just to avoid frustration at the beginning
When you are ready with the IDE (and done at least "Hello world" app) feel free to ask me directly... I have few years experience dealing with complex flash based apps so I think i can help
Last edited by desiter; 09-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.