Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 1 of 1
03-28-2009, 04:32 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Creating a gadget that can open a desktop folder
Bear with me as i'm an admitted newcomer to coding of any sort, however i'm not walking into this blindly. I've tried to research this whole process as extensively as my basic understanding/self-deducing skills can handle, but ive come here cuz i'm fresh out of ideas.
Basically what i'm trying to do is take my existing desktop which consists of these icons:
1. My Computer (already finished)
2. Mozilla Firefox (already finished)
3. Trillian (already finished)
4-7 Self Made folders that group together: games, security applications, and media applications
The Resources that i've gathered:
1. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=577 - First one I found, and the basis for every snippet of code i've tried to this point. It obviously provided me with the way to do the my computer icon, hence the (already finished) notation.
2. http://www.codingforums.com/archive/...p/t-27750.html - The second great one i've found that helped me finish mozilla and trillian, unfortunately it only works with programs and not folders.
Basically i'm hoping to be able to run the self-made folders from there locations on the desktop. I have read up a few more things where I could take them and make them into system folders by importing them into the registry and creating a CLSid for each but that would make it a pain every time I added something to them or for browsing purposes for opening files, i'd be opening and collapsing to many folders to get where I want to go.
I've already made all the appropriate sub-folders in the gadget folder, as well as completing all the xml files and giving each an associated PNG file. So i'm obviously hung up on the hard part, the HTML file.
i'm not necessarily asking for someone to do it for me, just guide me in the right direction whether it be to a helpful link or a few coding ideas.