Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Could i get in trouble for this?

    Hey guys, i got a question for any of you who might know this, or this will just be amusing to anyone else. I got into someones AOL account by hitting on "i forgot my password" i knew there securtiy questions. I changed there password and just messed with them a little, i didnt do anything bad tho. Then i made a fake AIM name and IMed the person that i changed there password and kinda was like "hey so you have been having problems with people changing your password?". Well now there is a investigator involved and said he was gonna subpoena AOL to find out who did it. Could they get my IP address and track it back to me? He said it was a misdemeanor but did i really do anything that wrong? Think he could just be trying to fake me out and just get me to confess? Would it really be worth the trouble for him, and how could i defend myself from all this? Just deny it?

  • #2
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    D0u$h!t3 k4?
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalFate84
    Could they get my IP address and track it back to me?
    I've heard that if you share your wireless connection, it could be traced back to you, but it could have been someone using your wireless connection. Check out this article for some REAL proof: Blame Your IP, RIAA Will Drop the Case
    The bad thing about that is, it makes sense!

    Quote Originally Posted by EternalFate84
    He said it was a misdemeanor but did i really do anything that wrong?
    The definition of a misdemeanor is usually a crime that is punishable by a fine (usually the cap is $2500) or jailtime of less than one year. It is not punishable by death and it is no reason for imprisonment (imprisonment as in a state prison, not a county jail). Technically, you did compromise somebody's security. After all, if they used the same password on other sites with the same username/screenname (when you want to visit 50+ sites a day like me, especially if a lot of them are forums, you tend to stick with a memorable and unique password), such as a PayPal account, you could compromise their financial security (this is just a guess based on news I've heard throughout the years; I never use PayPal or anything right now).
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalFate84
    Think he could just be trying to fake me out and just get me to confess?
    It is possible. This is used quite often when there is no real evidence of a crime at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalFate84
    Would it really be worth the trouble for him, and how could i defend myself from all this? Just deny it?
    Well, depending on whether you can share a wireless connection, you can either deny or confess. I recommend talking to the "victim", not the investigator. The victim is a lot more likely to go easy on you if you apologize and explain the situation. The investigator on the other hand might strive to give you jailtime. Just be cautious about what you say because lawyers have this annoying habit (much like parents do with children) of twisting the truth to make their party look better.
    Last edited by rpgfan3233; 08-06-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    PHP Code:
    $hello file_get_contents('hello.txt'); echo $hello
    hello

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The definition of a misdemeanor is usually a crime that is punishable by a fine (usually the cap is $2500) or jailtime of less than one year. It is not punishable by death and it is no reason for imprisonment (imprisonment as in a state prison, not a county jail). Technically, you did compromise somebody's security. After all, if they used the same password on other sites with the same username/screenname (when you want to visit 50+ sites a day like me, especially if a lot of them are forums, you tend to stick with a memorable and unique password), such as a PayPal account, you could compromise their financial security (this is just a guess based on news I've heard throughout the years; I never use PayPal or anything right now).
    When you hack a password the way he did it, you never get to know what the password was. But it is possible to change PayPal and other passwords by having access to his email account. If that was done, then several other charges would apply.

    For EternalFate84:
    Dude, if one day, someone was to open your regular mail and insert a note on it saying "someone oppened your mail..", and you knew that whoever did it lives on your neighbordhood, you would certanly take some sort of action, wouldnt you?
    Some people consider their e-mails just as important as their regular mail. Your IP might not be enough to prove you did anything wrong, but there are other ways of proving it.

  • #4
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everybody pretty much summed it up, getting into an account you are not allowed to is something you can get in trouble for, whether you caused any damage at all is besides the point, and it can be proved, but its really not worth the trouble at all... its stupid and pointless if no damage was done, even if some damage is done, its the dumbass for making himself so vulnerable with the easy security questions.

    Just like leaving your front door wide open and your neighbor walks in, and you call the cops on trespassing, no damage is done, but they did trespass, pretty stupid because they only walked inside because the door was wide open, and they were curious.

  • #5
    Regular Coder Aradon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenhope
    Just like leaving your front door wide open and your neighbor walks in, and you call the cops on trespassing, no damage is done, but they did trespass, pretty stupid because they only walked inside because the door was wide open, and they were curious.
    Yeah, but they'd still get arrested :P
    "To iterate is human, to recurse divine." -L. Peter Deutsch

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon
    Yeah, but they'd still get arrested :P
    lol yeah.

    Point is, its stupid to even go through the trouble. Especially since its computer related theres a lot more investigating, I dont even know if the authoritys would goto the trouble.... maybe if they got paid enough .

  • #7
    Regular Coder Aradon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenhope
    lol yeah.

    Point is, its stupid to even go through the trouble. Especially since its computer related theres a lot more investigating, I dont even know if the authoritys would goto the trouble.... maybe if they got paid enough .
    If an actual complaint is taken to the police I'm sure they would. But if it's just his friend joshing him, then who knows.
    "To iterate is human, to recurse divine." -L. Peter Deutsch

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    My recommendation is to admit guilt on an online forum.

  • #9
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    D0u$h!t3 k4?
    Posts
    512
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arnyinc
    My recommendation is to admit guilt on an online forum.
    Here's one:
    http://www.notproud.com
    PHP Code:
    $hello file_get_contents('hello.txt'); echo $hello
    hello


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •