Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How can I get Knoppix to allow write access?

    To the HDD or a USB flash drive?

    I'm using Knoppix 3.8, Btw.

  • #2
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    that should be enabled by default since you are writing to the hdd all the time, however if you're talking about networking permissions I have no idea on Knoppix.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Knoppix is a bootable operating system.
    So it runs independantly from the HDD; but if you have an HDD, it still allows you to read them.

    It runs entirly from RAM & the CD-ROM drive.
    And by default, it denies write access to just about every thing.

    Accept for CD & DVD Burning.

    I would just burn CD's or DVD's in order to keep files, but I'm on a tight bujet, and I don't want a whole bunch of discs lying around.



    So, here's my qeustion again:
    How can I get Knoppix 3.8 to allow write access to HDD's &/or removable drive's?

  • #4
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Assuming you aren't trying to write to a drive with NTFS on it, you might just need to mount it for reading and writing when you use the mount command.

    You don't want to try and write to an NTFS drive with linux, it technically can but its really unreliable right now and most likely only make things worse.
    OracleGuy

  • #5
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy
    Assuming you aren't trying to write to a drive with NTFS on it, you might just need to mount it for reading and writing when you use the mount command.

    You don't want to try and write to an NTFS drive with linux, it technically can but its really unreliable right now and most likely only make things worse.
    *sigh*

    Just about all of my stuff is in NTFS


    I guess I'll just have to bust-out one of my old FAT HDD's.
    I'll try it after I submit my exam. Thanks for the help so far

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, I tried writing to an old drive that shoud be FAT, but I'm not to sure if it is...
    So I'll boot up with windows & format it in FAT.

  • #7
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yamoo
    Ok, I tried writing to an old drive that shoud be FAT, but I'm not to sure if it is...
    So I'll boot up with windows & format it in FAT.
    ok, it was in NTFS.
    I am trying to format it into FAT32, but I keep getting error's saying to quite any disc utillities, or windows that may be veiwing it.


    So after I force format it, I'll try writing files to it w/ knoppix.

  • #8
    Senior Coder JamieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,161
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    have you tried formatting it from a disk utility like something like maxblast?

  • #9
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yamoo
    *sigh*

    Just about all of my stuff is in NTFS


    I guess I'll just have to bust-out one of my old FAT HDD's.
    I'll try it after I submit my exam. Thanks for the help so far
    Yeah, then thats why it is giving you read-only access, knoppix won't mount a NTFS partition with write access (at least by default).
    OracleGuy

  • #10
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy
    Yeah, then thats why it is giving you read-only access, knoppix won't mount a NTFS partition with write access (at least by default).
    I couldn't find a FAT32 HDD.
    I'm thinking about buying a new flash drive soon, it should be in FAT32, would knoppix 3.9 allow me to write to it? (I just downloaded the newest knoppix, btw. )

  • #11
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I forced formatted an HDD into FAT.
    But I still can't write

    Is it possible that I'm doing some thing wrong?
    What I'm doing:
    Trying to, right click, and creat a new file on an HDD.
    Or drag & drop files from the destop to an HDD.

  • #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yamoo
    Knoppix is a bootable operating system.
    So it runs independantly from the HDD; but if you have an HDD, it still allows you to read them.

    It runs entirly from RAM & the CD-ROM drive.
    And by default, it denies write access to just about every thing.
    This may be true, but you can still install Knoppix onto your harddrive thereby giving you the read/write access that you want...

    http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/knx-install.htm

    -sage-
    HTML & CSS Forum Moderator

    "If you don't know what you think you know, then what do you know."
    R.I.P. Derrick Thomas #58
    1/1/1967 - 2/8/2000

  • #13
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have Knoppix 3.7 but it is so slow I'm not able to do anything.

    Does it have a root user like Mandrake?

  • #14
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinko_metsuo
    I have Knoppix 3.7 but it is so slow I'm not able to do anything.

    Does it have a root user like Mandrake?
    Yeah I think so, but I don't know the password

  • #15
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that the user you are logged on as in knoppix, which is knoppix has full access on the system. I've never had any problems do to insufficent permissions.
    OracleGuy


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •