Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Rent plain Linux server
03-26-2014, 01:04 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
- Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rent plain Linux server
First off, I'm not sure where to post this, here seemed the best guess for me.
I want to rent a server which just has Linux (Ubunut/CentOS preferably) installed and nothing else, which I can manage by SSH. I want to set it up to do various things, but hosting websites isn't one (I already have a host for that). Ideally I need as much RAM/space as possible, but minimum 1GB of RAM, and 1-GB space.
Does anyone know of any services which I could look at? Everything I can find are web hosting server.
03-28-2014, 11:27 AM #2
- Join Date
- May 2002
- Marion, IA USA
- Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
Depending upon what you need to use it for and depending upon your home ISP connection/data caps etc you could just install one of the many flavors of Linux on a PC hosted at home.
CodingForums Supreme Overlord
All Hail Spookster
03-31-2014, 03:47 PM #3
1. Download the Ubuntu Server installer.
2. Install VirtualBox.
3. Set up a new VM and give it your RAM and HD requirements. (As long as your PC can spare the RAM and HD space, of course.)
4. Install Ubuntu Server on the new VM.
5. Log in to your new Ubuntu Server VM via SSH.
I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **