Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Connection protocol other than SSH

    Hello
    I was wondering if there was a connection protocol with similar features to SSH (most important that it works through bash shell such as UNIX/Linux/Putty/any bash) but with no need for it to be authorized on the device I am trying to connect, assuming I know it's user/root password and IP address.
    I'll give an example with my iPhone.
    So far I could bash-connect to it using SSH, knowing username/root password, it's IP address, but also SSH needed to be opened on the iPhone in order to establish a connection.
    I would want to know if there was a way to establish a connection through bash knowing all needed parameters (username/root password, IP address) but with no need for authorization on the device (such as opened SSH).
    Last edited by Soulswallow; 11-17-2011 at 09:24 AM.

  • #2
    Regular Coder primefalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    /home/primefalcon/
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 39 Times in 39 Posts
    the problem isn't ssh it's with the iphones lack of multitasking which is why you need ssh-server open to run be running ssh-server.

    you'll run into the same problem no matter what as long as the iphone is involved

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by primefalcon View Post
    the problem isn't ssh it's with the iphones lack of multitasking which is why you need ssh-server open to run be running ssh-server.

    you'll run into the same problem no matter what as long as the iphone is involved
    Well, OK, regardless the iPhone. iPhone was just an example, but was kind of looking for general answer. The question remains the same for PC to PC on shared network. Only way I know to connect through bash is the SSH protocol which needs to be enabled on the PC I am reaching, authorized in some way. I am looking for something to connect with no authorization on other device.

  • #4
    Regular Coder primefalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    /home/primefalcon/
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 39 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulswallow View Post
    Well, OK, regardless the iPhone. iPhone was just an example, but was kind of looking for general answer. The question remains the same for PC to PC on shared network. Only way I know to connect through bash is the SSH protocol which needs to be enabled on the PC I am reaching, authorized in some way. I am looking for something to connect with no authorization on other device.
    well just have sshd starting on boot, and it will run silently in the background listening for incoming messages....

    the reason ssh is the preferred method these days is because rsh, ftp, telnet and such protocols send all data unencrypted even passwords. The ssh suite (ssh, scp, sftp and so on) establish an encrypted pipeline using public key cryptography (for example for you an I, I'd send you a key that allows you to encrypt data but no one except for me(not even you) can decrypt and you send me a similar key) before sending any data... which means it can trusted even over an insecure network.

    If your not so concerned about security you could use telnet, ftp and so on but just be aware it is not a secure connection. and can be grabbed by a 3rd party.

  • #5
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by primefalcon View Post
    well just have sshd starting on boot, and it will run silently in the background listening for incoming messages....

    the reason ssh is the preferred method these days is because rsh, ftp, telnet and such protocols send all data unencrypted even passwords. The ssh suite (ssh, scp, sftp and so on) establish an encrypted pipeline using public key cryptography (for example for you an I, I'd send you a key that allows you to encrypt data but no one except for me(not even you) can decrypt and you send me a similar key) before sending any data... which means it can trusted even over an insecure network.

    If your not so concerned about security you could use telnet, ftp and so on but just be aware it is not a secure connection. and can be grabbed by a 3rd party.
    I know what you are saying, but that is not what I'm asking.
    Here is the situation.

    I have 2 computers connected on my (WiFi) LAN.
    Let's assume they are both turned on.
    But I only have physical access to one of them. Not to another.
    However, I am familiar with it's IP address, usernames and passwords.

    What is my task:
    To connect through bash/script language to this physically-out-of-reach-computer.
    I can't do that using SSH, because it needs to be enabled on the computer I can't physically reach.
    How could I do it?
    Hope that's clear enough.

  • #6
    Regular Coder primefalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    /home/primefalcon/
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 39 Times in 39 Posts
    You don't have access to this machine? I am assuming you have a right/permission to be accessing this machine right?....

    What you really need to do here is to find out what remote access services/protocols are installed such as ssh, ftp, vnc and so on....

  • #7
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by primefalcon View Post
    You don't have access to this machine? I am assuming you have a right/permission to be accessing this machine right?....

    What you really need to do here is to find out what remote access services/protocols are installed such as ssh, ftp, vnc and so on....
    I do have right/permission because it's mine.
    I just want to connect to it as if it was physically out of reach and have no protocols (other then ones normally coming with machine/windows) installed.

    I said more then once, I know how to do it if I openSSH on it, but I want to connect without authorization on it. Something like cracking into my own machine on my own LAN.

  • #8
    Super Moderator Inigoesdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,638
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 404 Times in 396 Posts
    A few options:
    • use key-based SSH authentication
    • use an SSH client, such as SecureCRT that can remember your password for you
    • If you are behind a router change your firewall to a whitelist of your internal IP and just leave SSH open
    • setup VNC
    • get a KVM or KVM-over-ip switch

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    As stated above, you can use SSH Keys. You can read this page on how to set it up.

    IIRC, basically you just run "ssh-keygen" and accept the defaults [keep pressing enter when prompted till program ends], then run "ssh-copy-id root@192.168.5.55", then log in, and it will copy your ssh key to the remote machine. I use this method to SSH into my Jailbroken iPod Touch, and my android.
    For programming information, visit irnsystems.com
    Also check out Points2Survey and earn items.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •