Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What would you charge for this

    Im not sure where I should be posting this so if it needs to be moved or deleted I understand.

    In any event I was hoping you guys might be able to help me to figure out what to charge in regards to a coding project.

    Long and the short of it the client wants a simple cms setup where he can go in update content etc. The client is a designer and he doesent work with wordpress so it needs to be custom, but it sounds like it shouldnt take to long.

    Is $100 to cheap, is $200 to expensive? Thoughts?

  • #2
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    You'll be way ahead of the game if you use a canned CMS. If you write a custom CMS you'll waste tons of time writing the guts of the CMS that you could be spending on getting the website contents and design just right. I recommend Drupal. (Read this article for a professional's conversion to Drupal-- it's really good)

    Just my $.02.

    Oh and as for price, it's pretty simple. Write up a list of functions the website must have. Make the list as detailed as you can; the more details, the more accurate the next step will be. Then beside each function, estimate how long it will take you to code and test that function. Add up the time, multiply by your desired hourly rate (mine is $30/hr for freelancing which is somewhere in the middle of the pack), and there's your bid.

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    You'll be way ahead of the game if you use a canned CMS. If you write a custom CMS you'll waste tons of time writing the guts of the CMS that you could be spending on getting the website contents and design just right. I recommend Drupal. (Read this article for a professional's conversion to Drupal-- it's really good)

    Just my $.02.

    Oh and as for price, it's pretty simple. Write up a list of functions the website must have. Make the list as detailed as you can; the more details, the more accurate the next step will be. Then beside each function, estimate how long it will take you to code and test that function. Add up the time, multiply by your desired hourly rate (mine is $30/hr for freelancing which is somewhere in the middle of the pack), and there's your bid.

    Hey Fumigator thanks for the advice. The problem with doing it with a CMS (which I would prefer) is that the client is actually a web designer. So hes designing the page and hes sending it to me to setup a CMS with. I suppose I could just go from PSD to Drupal or Wordpress but I have no clue how to do that.

    Supposedly this is going to be a long term relationship so ill do the first one by hand and see where it gets me. Although I should be able to reuse my code for most every project that he sends me.

    As for pricing I think I am going to quote $200, 10 hours x $20 an hour and see what happens. Like I said its supposed to be a long term setup, and I could use the cash.

  • #4
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    You are going to write a CMS in 10 hours?

  • #5
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumigator View Post
    You are going to write a CMS in 10 hours?
    ? This is not really a CMS in the traditional sense, its easily doable in less than 10 hours. Its a 5 page site and he wants to be able to update the content on each page with his own text.

  • #6
    UE Antagonizer Fumigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Utah, USA, Northwestern hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    7,691
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 637 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totesmagotes View Post
    ? This is not really a CMS in the traditional sense, its easily doable in less than 10 hours. Its a 5 page site and he wants to be able to update the content on each page with his own text.
    Ah.. forgive me, when you said "CMS" I thought that's what you meant


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •