First I want to apologize if this the wrong place or topic but I really need some programmers in the market place to answer a few open ended questions for my Research paper that i am writing for my Bachelors research methods class.
I really appreciate anyone who can give me some answers for these questions.
The Topic of the paper is "Where are all the Programmers?" as a hobbyist programmer in the U.S. I have found it very difficult to find an "in" into programming Jobs and just as scarce are learning opportunities (outside of the internet) and local friends. Furthermore I have read a number of news articles indicating that there is a shortage of "skilled software engineers" and computer programmers"
This survey is targeted to "U.S." programmers, but I welcome anybody who is willing to answer the questions.
1. What Country do you live in (and what city or metropolitan area would also be greatly appreciated)
2. Why do you think there are so many news and magazine articles detailing a shortage of programmers in the United States?
3. Can you describe your experience getting a Job as a programmer throughout your career?
4. What is your position on the movement to adding computer programming to the high school curriculum as a non-elective course?
5. How do you feel that the scholarly and experience requirements for most programming positions in the U.S. has affected the abilities for citizens of the U.S. to aquire programming jobs and contracts vs. outsourced programmers?
6. What is/are your favorite programming language(s) and why?
I will be reviewing PMs and posts to this thread for the next two weeks as this paper needs to be completed by 11/17/2012.
I Just want to thank you guys in advance for any help you are willing to offer.
Hope I get an A!