View Full Version : Suggestions on setting up security / login system for a site

musher
11-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Looking for IDEAS.
I currently have a standard User-Id/Password login to a web site maint area, I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to add some functionality to it. What I want to try and do is set it up so there are different access lvls (IE. add pages, delete page, edit page type 1, edit page type 2, utitlity section, add users)
Current MySQL DB has a table with User-ID, Password fields and I was thinking of adding a True/False field for every section but it seems like that could get kind of bulky to me.

Fumigator
11-05-2006, 06:19 AM
One design concept I've seen is you have a couple of tables. A "Profile" table stores a profile name and ID and not much more. An "Access" table lists processes/transactions/etc each profile it can access, using profile ID as foreign key. Then you assign a profile to each user. You create as many profiles as you have unique combinations of access in the system.

The advantage to this is you can change access to an entire group of users by just changing a single profile without having to change every user in the group.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum