View Full Version : A Game

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 02:22 AM
First off, I want to thank everyone here who has helped me!

Thank you guys so much.

Now I am finally complete my best work yet, in the way of a JavaScript game! I was wondering if you guys wanted to try it...

It may be boring to some, but I liked it :) You can find it at http://vgsfordummies.tripod.com/games/fk2/

If you go just go to /games/ then you'll see the rest of my crappy games.

Tell me if you like it! :)

11-17-2002, 04:28 AM
um. i may have found a few bugs in it.

when you try to give a gift to a neighbor, then it says that _friendship is undefined, at line 1884.

also, when you try to create advanced units for the military, apparently, no matter how much your research them, the research never completes. it always stays ot 0%.

<edit> scratch that: it just hit one percent complete. sure took a long time, though </edit>

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 04:36 AM
There's always bugs :-(

I found the error for the "_friendship" thing, it was because I was using the wrong variable to assign the new Friendship level, thanks for that :thumbsup:

About the researching... It is 50,000 research points for Advanced Units. It may seem like a lot, but after 30 minutes, you should have about 200 Researchers, which will make that project a breeze :p

As well, I forgot to mention, the game has ONLY been tested in IE6.0, as that is the version I have.

11-17-2002, 04:42 AM
when i load it in mozilla i get a black background and nothing else. <edit>a few other of your games also load w/ no success.

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 04:46 AM
I am selfish, and therefore, only make games for IE :p

(I am just too lazy to download the "other" browsers :))

If you do not HAVE IE, then tell me how the other browsers are interpretating it, and then try and help me make it cross-browser, please :)

11-17-2002, 05:53 AM
in mozilla, absolutely nothing loads for the game linked to here.

and after 45 minutes, i only have 75 researchers, and was because i've been quick on my feet. it took me getting wiped out twice to be able to get to where i knew what was too much and too little. you might want to try scaling it back a bit; the other kingdoms move ahead way faster than the player does. especially if the player is a newby.

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Thank you for your suggestions then!

All my friends were "too busy" to test it for me :-(

I always recommend that if you are a newbie, then you should read the instructions, because it's got eveything in it (except a guide, which I wrote for the first one, but was too anxious to release this to write one).

I have played it for awhile now, and have found researching annoyingly long too, so, I am going to make it more productive - not sure yet, but maybe research points are added every 10 seconds, or are 3 times as effective for the time they are now.

I will also lower the research points needed for each Tech. too.

As to the Computer, I know it grows too much, I changed the variables to lower it's growth rate by a lot, and lower it's military growth too. I also doubled the effect of givng gifts, since it's ridiculous that 1,000 Gold only makes the Friendship go up by 2, when attacking someone makes it go down by 20...

Anyways, after all of that, what do you think of the game...?

11-17-2002, 07:20 AM
i'm tired, but tomorrow, i'll play it again with the changes, and let you know what i think.

congratulations on the UI, by the way; i thought it was intuitive, and easy to use. the only that i wasn't able to immediately figure out, was that it would take so long for research to finish. you might want to make some note about when research finishes in the help. if it's there, i didn't see it.

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 07:24 AM
Section D.3, it gives you a list of all the available Tech.'s, and how much they take point-wise.

I am making the changes now, and plan to have them up again before I go to bed.

Thanks for testing :)

11-17-2002, 11:41 AM
I couldn't get any of the first three basic techs above 10%. Maybe you're missing a few zeroes someplace?

BTW, I reached the 2 hour mark with no troubles, but the '2 hour alert' kept repeating...

I was hoping that with a larg enough army, an enemy could be completely defeated. I had an attack strength of over 2000 at the end....

11-17-2002, 05:08 PM
the gold/population/food research only allows a +10% to base, so further research is pointless.

I destroyed 3 of the four tribes, had north left (and down to about 25 land units) when the 2 hours appeared.

Yes the alert box keeps repeating == very annoying ('specially when you're about 2 mins from killing the last king and stealing everything)

Nice game btw.
'obviously' - or I wouldn't have spent two hours playing :)

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Yes, max of 10%, and I forgot to add "gamecomplete = 'yes';" after the alert message :-\

As for ease of killing everyone, it WAS < 20 Pop. or < 10 Land to kill them. I changed it just now, and uploaded it and fixed the alert every second.

And thanks Okii for the compliments :thumbsup:

11-17-2002, 07:23 PM
OK, after an hour and a half...

You just can't wipe kingdoms out... I got the East down to 18 soldiers etc. and it would not go any lower, I was only taking 1 or 2 off each time with over 2000 attacking strength

There should be some relation between the amount of force you send, and the amount you take of... e.g. if the other side's population is less than your force, they should be wiped out and you should get all their stuff :D

also, I have had 300 researchers on pop. bonus and 300 on food bonus for nearly an hour, and they do NOT go above 10%!!! the total goes up but not the %!!! I did the building upgrade and the advanced upgrade though.

Apart from that, it is a cooooool game :D Well done!

::] krycek [::

11-17-2002, 07:29 PM

took an hour and a half of hard work, but i beat it.

Who da Man?

that's right.

Eternity Angel
11-17-2002, 07:33 PM
The Population, Gold, and Food bonuses are up to 10%, because they increase the amount of that thing by whatever the % is.

It's in relation to your Land - if you have, let's say, 100 Land, then it'll take 1,000 Research Points to get 10% - it will not go higher.

With 10% more storage space on Food and Population, then you wont need as much buildings :p

As to the "If more soldiers than pop" thing - I never really thought of that! - right now, it's just if you drag their pop to below 100, or lower their land to less than 20. Great idea :)

And joh6nn, good for you! Although I think I made the military growth of the enemy too slow :rolleyes:

Edit--> Although, 77 / 1053 Land!? Did my script do it wrong, or did you actually have 1053 Land!?!?

11-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Gotcha :D

I did beat East in the end... but it took a while, because I had to get the land down.

I spent a while getting resources together before attacking, your see :)

Well done John! An hour and a half! lol :)

I have over 2000 land and tonnes of stuff but my method is to attack the biggest ones because then you get 10%, and then I let them grow back you see

cool game! :D

::] krycek [::

11-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Wow... very nice game for javascript.

congrats over and over.

I have played for 2 hours, and technically win :)

Very nice game man.... my kingdom is strong as ever though, south attacked me 3 times but i quickly built up to defend and they havent since.. trying to at least get to where i can hit them once lol... my "ally" east is ahead of me along with everyone else besides north who i keep destroying.

[re edit]

God i'm bored... killed off every kingdom hahaha. Perhaps you should put some other ending victory message in place, or something for if all 4 kingdoms are destroyed.

Eternity Angel
11-19-2002, 07:18 PM
There's a message if you kill off all the kingdoms BEFORE 2 hours ;)

And thanks for the compliments - I really like hearing things like that.

As for people killing you - the best unit is the Tactical Cruiser, and it requires no research! :)

(Last mention: If I knew more CGI, or PHP, had a Database and a free server that could handle it, I'd make my life-long dream game :) (it's almost a copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms!) - so, hint hint - if you know of any free servers [PHP preferably])

11-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Yea I started building tactical cruisers by mass towards the end.

But there was a problem it seemed... gold, food, nor population techs would research past 10% for me, and at one point I had 350+ researchers on a research. There was like 15,000+ put into each one but they stayed at 10% Also when I built factories, I had around 8 of them I think and my building speed didnt seem to hasten.

and one final quirk lol... is save game not functional yet? or was it just staying unclickable for me because it's evil lol.

Eternity Angel
11-20-2002, 01:20 AM
Technology | Points Req. | Description \
| Population Bonus | Infin. | Increases your Pop. Housing by up to 10% \
| Gold Bonus | Infin. | Increases your Bank Limit by up to 10% /
| Food Bonus | Infin. | Increases your Food Storage by up to 10% \

Section D.3 in the manual...

It raises that specific thing BY UP TP 10% - so, if you had 50 Residences, and had a 10% bonus for Pop., then you could hold up to 5,500 Population instead of just 5,000.

Now, I forgot to explain Factories properly in the manual - they go in units of 10, if you have 10, then you get one second off of the time it takes to build a building, if you have 20, then 2 seconds, and so forth. You can only build 40 Factories though.

While I'm at it, I'll explain SCOUTERS... They work by #of Scouters * 5 - 1000.

So, if you had 10 Scouters, then instead of it taking one second (1.000) to explore one land, it would take .950 (because 10 Scouters * 5 = 50 and 1000 - 50 = 950)

One thing I DID do, was thoroughly test Building an Exploring ^_~

Edit---> I forgot to say... To SAVE your game, you first need to PAUSE it, since I was unable to make the save work while the game was in play for the first FK, so, I just made it the same way in FKII :)

11-20-2002, 01:39 AM
*beats all 4 kingdoms in 1 hour 20 minutes without a single retaliation*

mm'kay i'm happy lol...

Yea I realized second time around what those 3 techs did. scouters are kind of an unused trait. I always have way more land than I need from attacking the kingdoms.

I think a difficulty setting is in order, perhaps make it load a different javascript depending on what difficulty you choose, or work in the difficulty changing into one single script.

I want the other kingdoms to be a bit more aggresive ;)

Eternity Angel
11-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Then maybe I will make an FKIII :-p

I am happy with the computer's growth, and their intelligence is REALLY basic, they either do something, or they don't :-\

It's all good anyways - try playing for a couple DAYS, and see where you are ^_^ (something I have never done with FKI, or FKII - I program the games, I don't play them :-p)

Eternity Angel
11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
NEW GAME!!!!!!!!!

I worked all day today to make this one! And I want you guys to test it out just like FKII!!!!!

I believe it works fine, but there MAY be a bug!

game: http://vgsfordummies.tripod.com/games/shooter/

11-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Your games rule... ;)

11-20-2002, 04:18 PM
hehe, it is addictive. I have been at it for 5 hours, and now I got people flocking to my city.

This rules!

Eternity Angel
11-20-2002, 05:47 PM

If you spend enough on your city, to get your Pop. Rating above 70, and KEEP it there for 2 minutes (I think), then you get a special bonus!! (I almost forget about the things I add to games)

And not ALL my games rule, but I most proud of FKII, since it was the only one that took me a MONTH to complete :rolleyes:

11-21-2002, 04:41 AM
game sounds great, too bad mozilla can't play it, oh well, looks like i will have to try it at school where they run windows.

11-21-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Eternity Angel

(Last mention: If I knew more CGI, or PHP, had a Database and a free server that could handle it, I'd make my life-long dream game :) (it's almost a copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms!) - so, hint hint - if you know of any free servers [PHP preferably])

I actualy have my own server that Im hosting at my house, its about 95% reliable, Its not that fast, only about 150 kbps up (really fast down though). I would gladly give you a chunck with server side language support, and maby 10 - 50( 50 might be pushing) megs or so, ftp, (no adds ha ha ha), unlimited monthly bandwidth, and its (free).

(anybody else who wants this ask me)

11-30-2002, 03:57 AM
Eternity angel hope ya see this.

I've got someone who has a .net site and is looking for games to host... he also creates php-based games.

Contact me nin_tr@hotmail.com

aim: trhellss

site: http://hellssite.customc.net

and i'll get you two talking about it

11-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Cool games. I got 15410 on hard on the shooter one....

Eternity Angel
11-30-2002, 09:03 AM
oh, so NOW someone sees the shooter game :-p

I never got an e-mail saying someone replied here, until now! About that PHP hosting - it would be a lot better if I KNEW how to work PHP, and a Database better - thanks for the (week old) offer though!

11-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Well he'd probably be willing to make it into php... he's funky like that.