View Full Version : everything south of a point in the UK

mic2100
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
What i have is a program that loads all of the insulation leads that are produces in a day onto a web based application for our surveyors to see. Now my manager as asked if it would be possible to produce a piece of code that will seperate any leads that are south of northamptonshire to do somthing else with them.

Wot i am looking for is ideas on how i can approach this porblem since i am completly stuck with it. I thought about an arry that stored all the counties that fall in this area, once it comes accress one of them it does the new process.

Help Please!!! :confused: :confused:

mlseim
10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
In the U.S. we have zipcodes.

Does the U.K. have any type of city codes? and possible
an existing database you can tap into?

Otherwise, a county database would be the option (as you mentioned).

I'm thinking also of some GPS type thing (latitude entries) to determine
what is south or north.

GJay
10-30-2006, 06:09 PM
if you need absolute accuracy, then you'll need to store latitude and longitude, there are a number of services that will provide these for postcodes.
If county-level is specific enough, then that will be far easier- there are about 110 countires in England and wales, so it would probably only take a couple of hours to do the data-entry required for that, while you'd probably spend at least that on getting the code for lat/long comparisons working.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum