View Full Version : IE 6 won't recognize spreadsheet

johnnyblotter
10-27-2006, 03:23 AM
What's up? Hoping I can get a little guidance on this issue. I've only been studying CSS for a week or two, so the answer may be obvious - anyway,the style element in the HTML looks like this: <style type="text/css" media="screen">@import url(floatliststyle2.css);</style>

I have used this and every other possible variation available (linking, different media types,etc.) Firefox displays fine everytime but IE6 will never read the CSS. I think it must have something to do with encoding and the fact I'm using notepad - I read something about some notepad and encoding issue once. But it happened using Word also. And I declared the encoding on the stylesheet (utf-8) so I don't know why IE won't read it. Any help is appreciated.

johnnyblotter
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Whoops, I said "spreadsheet"...brain was a little fried yesterday. Anyway, still stuck on this one...

johnnyblotter
10-28-2006, 03:13 AM
wow. I am a noob idiot. Just missing a bracket in the meta tag. Thanks to everybody for watching me make an *** of myself.

Arbitrator
10-28-2006, 03:42 AM
The encoding issue you were referring to is the byte order mark (BOM) that Notepad inserts at the beginning of a UTF-8–encoded file. Inserting the BOM is correct behavior, though it is not required. However, some browsers will choke and ignore the CSS file when they encounter a BOM in a CSS document and unfortunately Notepad doesn’t offer a method of disabling BOM insertion.

I first encountered this problem some time ago when a CSS file wouldn’t work and more recently when I couldn’t get PHP to work. I now use an editor (Adobe GoLive) that doesn’t insert a BOM when the document is encoded as UTF-8 (which was necessary to insert raw Japanese characters in an HTML file).

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum