View Full Version : Fedora Core 6 released

JamieR
10-24-2006, 06:33 PM
As posted on Slashdot a few hours ago, Fedora Core 6 has been released...

http://www.redhat.com/fedora

Spookster
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah I can't wait to get home so I can play. I am out of town on business for the next month. :(

FC6 comes with the new desktop enhancements for the cube. I am curious to try it out.

marek_mar
10-24-2006, 08:00 PM
The cube?
With any luck I'll have it downloaded by tomorrow evening. :)

Spookster
10-24-2006, 08:20 PM
The cube?
With any luck I'll have it downloaded by tomorrow evening. :)

The cube desktop
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/fc6/fc6cube.jpg

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/fc6/

marek_mar
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Oh that... it looks like this xgl thingy I wanted to try before my FC5 decided to update itself into oblivion.

ralph l mayo
10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Funny that Redhat is embracing XGL/Compiz, since it's Novell tech, AKA Redhat's #1 competitor in the enterprise Linux market. Kind of like if Microsoft decided to ship Vista with OS X dashboard. (not that I'd put it past them)

Spookster
10-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Funny that Redhat is embracing XGL/Compiz, since it's Novell tech, AKA Redhat's #1 competitor in the enterprise Linux market. Kind of like if Microsoft decided to ship Vista with OS X dashboard. (not that I'd put it past them)

I wouldn't overlook the fact that Novell copied the idea for those effects from Macs. Redhat is embracing it not because of the cool effects but the fact that the technology can help expand the possibilities for the DT's.

Shoot2Kill
10-24-2006, 10:18 PM
OK. LINUX n00b HERE, I HAVE TRIED UBUNTU, THATS ABOUT IT, AND I CAN GET THE HANG OF THE BASICS.. e.g. aptitude... AND THAT SORT OF STUFF, AND I PREFER IT OVER WINDOWS :):):)

BUT WILL I BE ABLE TO WORK MY WAY THROUGH FC6 ??? AS A LINUX n00b, WILL I STRUGGLE MY *** OFF. LOL..

ALSO I GOT AROUND MOST (IF NOT ALL) OF MY UBUNTU PROBLEMS USING THE UBUNTU FORUMS..

DOES FC6 HAVE SUCH A FRIENDLY AND FAST COMMUNITY FOR n00b's.. lol...

THX IN ADVANCE. :D

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Why are you typing in caps? Is your caps lock key stuck or something? If it isn't then you should know that typing in caps signifies yelling in a forum.

Does anyone know if the graphical interface of the installer has improved or not?

Shoot2Kill
10-24-2006, 10:34 PM
yeah i do that sometimes, and by the time i realize i have it on, it is the end of the post, and i cant be bothered to type it all out again...

ralph l mayo
10-24-2006, 10:45 PM
STUFF ABOUT MOVING FROM UBUNTU TO FEDORA

Maybe at one point there was validity to the idea of a "noob distro" but now they've all pretty much been streamlined in very similar experiences in terms of command line demands and core *nix competency vs. graphical interfaces and automation. If you install Fedora you're probably going to have an very similar experience to that you had with Ubuntu.

My recommendation, fwiw, is to just upgrade to edgy so you can play with (in some cases MUCH) newer packages. Assuming you're running dapper now, anyway:

# sed -i.bak 's/dapper/edgy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
# aptitude update
# aptitude upgrade
# aptitude dist-upgrade

No warranty, but fixing a system hosed by taking the advice of strangers on the internet is a great way to learn about linux internals. :thumbsup:

Shoot2Kill
10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
OK, thanks.. i don't have any valuable stuff on my Ubuntu partition, so i will give it a go.. and i will also install FC6 in next few days, see what its like.. :D

Aradon
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
As long as it's better then Core 3, I'm a happy Fedora User. :D

JamieR
10-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm downloadng it atm. I had FC4 running for a while, then upgraded to FC5. Now I don't have it running at all cos I got rid of it for some strange reason - I'll install FC6 when I can and will see what tis like :)

I don't know if it's just me, but was the installation for FC5 a heck of a lot slicker/easier than FC4? I can't remember how/why it was, but for some reason I felt the installation for FC5 was a lot smoother than FC4. Dunno..

marek_mar
10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
With any luck...
20 minutes after that statement I broke my network router...

marek_mar
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Not that I've got it I must say I'm not too happy with it.

The installer (anaconda) crashes... a lot. It crashed on me 3 times before I decided to not configure anything in it and just let it go with the defaults.
The installer did not forget to install the wrong kernel aswell.
This might not be a total failure for some, but for me it is.

Spookster
10-31-2006, 03:48 AM
Not that I've got it I must say I'm not too happy with it.

The installer (anaconda) crashes... a lot. It crashed on me 3 times before I decided to not configure anything in it and just let it go with the defaults.
The installer did not forget to install the wrong kernel aswell.
This might not be a total failure for some, but for me it is.

I've seen a few complaints from others over on the fedoraforums.org site about anaconda crashing during installation when people tried to really customize their installation. Guess they have a few more bugs to work out. The great thing is that if there's a problem in Linux it will be resolved very shortly in hours or days unlike windows which can take months or years before you ever get an update out of them.

marek_mar
10-31-2006, 09:03 PM
If you know how to swap the kernel with the proper one without destroying everything I'd be thankful.
The odd thing is that the release of FC6 was pulled back because of bugs found in anaconda. It's as if there was no betatesting of the installer.

ahwhwl
11-01-2006, 06:17 AM
I am not a game, I am not a world, I am WOW
<a href="http://www.sale-wow-gold.com">game</a> :thumbsup:

Spookster
11-01-2006, 06:31 AM
What do you mean by swap the kernel with the proper one? There should only be one kernel installed from the initial installation.

marek_mar
11-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes it installed only one, but a wrong one. Just like in this bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211941). I only did not try what was suggested there because I to avoid reinstalling Fedora yet again, which will just bring me back to the problem I have now.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum