View Full Version : How to defeat frame busting?

smerf
10-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Is there a way to defeat frame busting?

I want to create specialized sites like www.torrentscan.com but for educational links, grouped by subject.

Some of the sites use frame-busting and I want to defeat it to include them in the list of links and show their site in the main content frame.

How can I defeat frame busting to accomplish this?

I understand the reasoning behind frame-busting (to keep people from stealing your content). But, what about legitimate uses for frames - like as an index to related websites for a community of users that are interested in a particular subject?

Mr J
10-22-2006, 03:53 PM
To my knowledge you cannot, thats the point of them to prevent people from showing someone elses site as their own

smerf
10-22-2006, 08:16 PM
I have seen it on a few sites, is it something that is used by a majority if websites?

If so, I am afraid my project is dead. Users will not be able to add links to the lists as planned.

smerf
10-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Perhaps I should encourage my users to encourage any sites that use frame busting to allow the frames if parent.location = mywebpage?

That way the website owner can still bust out of any frames that do not originate from my domain.

But, I wonder how many admins are likely to make that change? Let's ask the panel....

Mr J
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
is it something that is used by a majority if websites?

I think so, I even use it on my own site

Mr J
10-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Perhaps I should encourage my users to encourage any sites that use frame busting to allow the frames if parent.location = mywebpage?

I somehow do not think they will

smerf
10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Their site would be clearly marked as coming from them. There would be a button provided to my users to allow direct bookmarking of their content and the site would be carefully constructed so as to not interfere with the look and feel of their web pages.

It would look no different than if viewed in a browser.

What do you think might be their objections?

jalarie
10-23-2006, 04:54 PM
There would be a button provided to my users to allow direct bookmarking of their content....

That's a cute trick! How would you do it?

felgall
10-24-2006, 12:26 AM
There would be a button provided to my users to allow direct bookmarking of their content

How do you intend to do that considering that most web browsers don't allow access to the blookmark list from the web page to be able to add the page automatically.

Based on what you are trying to do it appears that you have no real idea of how the web works.

smerf
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
That's a cute trick! How would you do it?

You would send the URL of the page you want to trap to a web service. The web service grabs the page using a webbrowser object, strips out things like HEAD tags, BODY tags, advertising and any code that may try and defeat the attempt (Javascripts and such that you may have seen before) and returns the tweaked HTML that can now be inserted in a DIV tag.

There is no defense against this that I am aware of.

smerf
10-24-2006, 07:37 AM
How do you intend to do that considering that most web browsers don't allow access to the blookmark list from the web page to be able to add the page automatically.

Based on what you are trying to do it appears that you have no real idea of how the web works.

I was simply thinking out loud. I have seen javascripts for adding links to favorites in many places - but I have not tested any of them out.

Even if they do not work with modern browsers, I can always add a simple link or instruction to right click to add to favorites.

Thanks for your post!

felgall
10-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Add to Favorites only works in IE and you can add to the sidebar from Javascript in Firefox but there is no equivalent for other browsers.

You would send the URL of the page you want to trap to a web service. The web service grabs the page using a webbrowser object, strips out things like HEAD tags, BODY tags, advertising and any code that may try and defeat the attempt (Javascripts and such that you may have seen before) and returns the tweaked HTML that can now be inserted in a DIV tag.

There is no defense against this that I am aware of.

Stripping the content out of someone else's page to display it in yours like that is a very clearcut case of THEFT and a court of law will soon deal with the offender. There certainly is no defense that would stand up in court in this instance.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum