View Full Version : Why does it do this to my BG in IE?

10-21-2006, 11:29 PM

I was very happy last nite as I thought I had done some major work on my page and was happy with it. Then, today, I looked at it in IE. Everything worked as I wanted it to in Firefox, but I have IE7 and wanted to make sure everything looked basically the same, since I still see the ads in IE.

In Firefox, the page works beautifully (granted, I'm not finished, but it is working the way it should regardless). I want the <div> to have a background, which stays fixed, and the <div> is set so that when there is more text, it scrolls. Well, I had the BG on No Repeat, Position Center. In Firefox, it kept the <div> as 800 high, and it kept the background where it should be, and the text scrolled, almost as if the BG was fixed, although I didn't use the fix command on my style sheet.

In IE, however, it places the back ground, not in the middle of the <div> as Firefox does, but in the middle of the text. So the whole top has no BG, and it comes at the middle of the text, then there is a large space below the BG.

Firefox did it great, IE doesn't. So what do I need to do to make it look as it renders in Firefox also in IE (and other browsers as well)? I used the 'fixed' command, but that fixed it behind everything else, and the page scrolls but the BG doesn't. Which is a neat effect to use, but not for what I'm using it for.

Please Help. I've tried everything in combination in all of the tutorials I've read, but I still can't get a combination. I've tried fixing the BG at the top, but that didn't work either. When I Fix the BG at the top, it put's it at the top of the <div>, but it scrolls with the text, unlike in Firefox. If I put it at the top and then Fix it, it doesn't work there either.

10-22-2006, 08:31 PM
No takers yet?

10-22-2006, 08:40 PM
It may have something to do with your Web site displaying in quirks mode. I'm not exactly sure why it is though.