View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7 is released!

liorean
10-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Go get it! (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx)

WA
10-19-2006, 12:29 PM
What's your opinion of it so far? I've been testing IE7 since the RC releases. I don't see much difference with the official version except that it probably feels a little faster. Overall Firefox still seems faster for my rather outdated computer though, especially opening multiple tabs. With a faster computer I may be able to enjoy IE7 more, but right now, Firefox is still my man!

Bill Posters
10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
"IE7 day one, bug one" (http://www.jimbarter.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7-day-one-bug-one/)

Can anyone corroborate?
(I'm Mac-based today)

liorean
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I haven't played around with it yet, and the installer to the betas and release candidates crashed (the "dump memory and cold restart" type of crash) so I couldn't install it. What little playing around I've been doing has been on a friend's computer.

The installer still crashes my comp :(

iota
10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
What's your opinion of it so far? I've been testing IE7 since the RC releases. I don't see much difference with the official version except that it probably feels a little faster. Overall Firefox still seems faster for my rather outdated computer though, especially opening multiple tabs. With a faster computer I may be able to enjoy IE7 more, but right now, Firefox is still my man!

Me, too Admin WA.:cool:

Spudhead
10-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I think it's a HUGE step forward for IE, and one that puts it very, very nearly into the "not nearly as good as Firefox was about a year ago" category. I don't like the window layout - and the lack of control I'm given over it, I'm unimpressed by tabbed browsing, I still don't trust the security, and I'm just waiting for all the proprietary add-ons and non-standard code extensions to surface, that I just KNOW they've put in there. It's not going to make my job any easier, and it doesn't look like it'll make much of a difference to anyone's surfing habits. A waste of time if you ask me.

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
"IE7 day one, bug one" (http://www.jimbarter.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7-day-one-bug-one/)

Can anyone corroborate?
(I'm Mac-based today)

I cannot corroborate that bug. I updated to IE7 and get no such issues (had already tested on IE7RC1). On a closer look at the code he was using there is a space in the doctype that shouldn't be there. IE7 only works in its standards compliant mode if the doctype is valid.

Bill Posters
10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I cannot corroborate that bug. I updated to IE7 and get no such issues (had already tested on IE7RC1). On a closer look at the code he was using there is a space in the doctype that shouldn't be there. IE7 only works in its standards compliant mode if the doctype is valid.

The originator of that bug report states that the code which was actually used did not have the space (and that the space appears only in the on-page code sample). Additionally, he states that the bug appears in all tests he's done.

I'm not doubing your veracity, just trying to get to the bottom of whether or not the IE7 Zoom bug exists and under what conditions. (I don't think it's a standards mode vs quirks mode issue.)

Fwiw, here's the thread discussing the presence of the bug.
AccessifyForum: Microsoft release Internet Explorer 7 (http://www.accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6513)

JamieR
10-20-2006, 10:36 AM
I dunno if anyone's seen this yet, but..

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/10/19/1326247.shtml

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I could have sworn I checked this yesterday in IE7 (not RC1) and nothing happened. Now its happening.

NancyJ
10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
ZOMG!! I've found a feature in IE7 that I actually like AND dont have in FF or opera - when you go to a page with an rss feed - the little rss icon lights up and you can view the feed or subscribe. I like that - all the rss extensions for ff seem to be scrolling tickers or sidebars :(
I have the BBC news dropdown that I tihnk comes with FF - I'd like to add more like that, if only I could figure out how

Edit:
Nevermind - just found noticed that FF has been doing it all along - I just never noticed - my live bookmarks is about to start overflowing muahaha - and my work productivity is going to plummet!

rpgfan3233
10-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Time to start developing for IE7 seriously now. . . lol

Actually, I'm glad about the CSS, PNG and security improvements. It makes development much easier. With many users having automatic updates on by default (not knowing how to turn them off and get rid of that annoying alerter), they'll get IE7 automagically, so that means IE6 should be on its way out the door rather soon.

I'm warming up to Opera 9 though. . . I like Firefox, but Opera is just so fast in Windows! I also enjoy the customisability (is that even a word?) of Opera as well. The only thing I dislike is the fact that it doesn't have .net and .org domain completion by default like Firefox. Oh well, I just set it myself. :P

Also, for those who haven't seen them yet:
"The Zen in 7: Enhanced Styles In Internet Explorer 7" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/IETechCol/cols/dnexpie/ie7_css_ZenTek.asp)
"Cascading Style Sheet Compatibility in Internet Explorer 7" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/IETechCol/cols/dnexpie/ie7_css_compat.asp)
"ActiveX Security: Improvements and Best Practices" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/IETechCol/cols/dnexpie/activex_security.asp)
"Stronger Default Security Settings for Script Access to the Clipboard in Internet Explorer 7" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/IETechCol/cols/dnexpie/clipboard_scriptaccess.asp)

Happy reading!

Grant Palin
10-21-2006, 09:38 PM
A downside to IE7 is that not everyone will be able to use it. Specifically those still running Windows 98 or even 2000. Only XP and newer gets IE7.

So, yes, through automatic updates, the newer systems will get IE7 fairly quickly (not counting those who decline or block the update, such as corporate environments), but with the older computers, IE6 will (unfortunately) be around a long time yet.

For what it's worth, I'd personally like IE6 to disappear quickly, bu it's not going to be too soon, so we have to continue supporting it for a couple more eyars.

rpgfan3233
10-22-2006, 09:38 AM
A downside to IE7 is that not everyone will be able to use it. Specifically those still running Windows 98 or even 2000. Only XP and newer gets IE7.

So, yes, through automatic updates, the newer systems will get IE7 fairly quickly (not counting those who decline or block the update, such as corporate environments), but with the older computers, IE6 will (unfortunately) be around a long time yet.

For what it's worth, I'd personally like IE6 to disappear quickly, bu it's not going to be too soon, so we have to continue supporting it for a couple more eyars.
This is why I will not download IE7. From what I've read about using more than one IE on a PC, IE7's installed files and registry keys may affect IE6's rendering. I don't want to take that chance, so I'll probably stick to IE6 when I reinstall Windows (I've been planning it for about a week now).

liorean
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I would say the fact ie7 makes changes to things that standalone ie6 uses as well is a way overblown problem. Microsoft made Virtual PC free, so all you need is a copy of Windows to install on it.

<?austin ?>
10-28-2006, 03:34 AM
i hate IE7 already...i am not going to download it until it is a mandatory update. i tested the beta and it muffin'd up my muffin internet for 2 weeks! i realized that some things did not support the ie7beta browser so i tried un installing it....well, it said muffin you austin im just going to corupt myself and make me uninstallable. so i just went back in time to where i still had ie6, but it was still muffin'd up! after all this i finally got ie6 again when some guy from fry's came to set up a wireless printer and helped me out. so i am scared to download it now. my dad has it on his computer so i test my site on that. im a firefoxer now, so i dont really care for IE unless i need to test my site on it.

question: how would i be able to have IE6 and IE7 at the same time? anyone know?

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-28-2006, 04:03 AM
I installed IE7 as my primary IE browser then I got a standalone version of IE6 from evolt.org (http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone).

Then if Ie7 is your primary IE install you can get things working properly again like conditional comments. Read this: http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html

Judgment Day
10-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Whew...been awhile since I posted here. Anyway...

I see IE6 being around for a good two years tops to be quite honest with you. I actually didn't even notice that 7 was out until I came here. And a lot of common users (especially with older systems) probably won't know just yet either.

Now when Vista (or whatever that new Windows is) comes out, you can bet your bottom dollar that IE7 will get it's biggest pimp 'then'. That should be next year, if I'm not mistaken.

Thrilled about Vista? I actually don't care, but advertising dictates to a lot of users to either upgrade your computer or get another one entirely. And through the Vista cycle, there will be a huge consumer turnaround from old-new comps...new computers that will come prepackaged with IE7.

When the end of that hits, bye bye IE6. I also predict that because of IE7's compatibility, Microsoft and software companies everywhere will begin to not include 98. So that will be phased out as well.

rpgfan3233
10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I also predict that because of IE7's compatibility, Microsoft and software companies everywhere will begin to not include 98. So that will be phased out as well.

Microsoft already has. In fact, they've alienated Windows 2000 users, IIRC. In any case, Microsoft doesn't necessarily dictate the software business. It may be a major influence, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The latest release of Mozilla's Seamonkey project can be run on Windows 98. Windows 95 is also a possible installation platform, assuming DCOM for Windows 95 is installed. Mozilla Firefox 2.0 can run on Windows 98 and Firefox 2.0 is still new and shiny. Microsoft cut the ties on Windows 98 a while ago and Windows 95 even longer, yet software is still developed for it.

marek_mar
10-28-2006, 11:10 PM
IE7 looks nice... on Vista. I already like it more than Firefox. Too bad it doesn't encrypt stored passwords. I'm not really going to use it. :)

Aradon
10-30-2006, 04:59 AM
I used it today on a university computer and I'd have to say I actually like the look and feel of it. I wish I could move the address bar around, but I think I just didn't hav enough time to mess with it.

rpgfan3233
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
As far as I know, you can't do much in the way of toolbar movement. You can resize and such, but you can't move the toolbars around the toolbar area.

<?austin ?>
11-03-2006, 02:07 AM
IE7 looks nice... on Vista. I already like it more than Firefox. Too bad it doesn't encrypt stored passwords. I'm not really going to use it. :)
good bad

well anyway, thanks! i know that ie6 is still used by lots of people so i still need it but then again i need ie7 so i am up to date. thanks again _aerospace_eng!

DanielSmith
12-02-2006, 02:34 AM
one day,one bug. that is so interesting

Carter_23
12-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Well I use opera now and I think it's cool too.

But I'm of course interesting what's new in IE7. So I guess I'll load it. :))

Spit_Me_Out
12-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Skrew IE

I am fire fox all the way!

The new firefox pwns IE 7. lol.

Tyrial101
01-09-2007, 06:10 AM
The only plus for IE7 is a lot more things render correctly, thus we will see browser detection scripts for CSS start to fade away.

Other than that it is still slower than Firefox, and Opera.

Also, no plugin function that I can see, which is my favorite thing about FF.

The final con in my opinion is, as stated before, Poor Layout/Low control.

IE is too corporate and will never meet the same standards that FF conquers everyday.

The security sucks, the layout sucks, the speed sucks, the tabbing feature sucks, and the control over your browser blows.

All they really did is remove appropriate buttons, fix some rendering problems, and give it a shiny look, which might impress a lemming, but it sure as hell makes no difference to me what it looks like, especially when I can just download Firefox and add any skin I like.

ralph l mayo
01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
question: how would i be able to have IE6 and IE7 at the same time? anyone know?

Probably not going to happen in Windows. Even after the antitrust suit IE is still a "core" part of Windows and it's going to get tremendously confused if there are multiple installations of it. It's doable with minor caveats in Linux, though. Doable with the rendering engine anyway, it's still not easy to get the interface running. But if you're just testing layouts like me it doesn't matter. I'm running IE 7, 6, 5.5 and 5 on Ubuntu using (IIRC) these instructions: http://webexpose.org/2007/01/07/internet-explorer-7-on-linux/

IE's rendering is still giving me problems in version 7. I get a good amount of agreement between Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror about how a layout should be parsed but IE7 still often requires extra attention. Much better than IE6, though, which blows absolutely everything.

whizard
01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
go to http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and select the 6.0 version.

HTH
Dan

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum