View Full Version : Would like suggestions for my website

Grant Palin
11-13-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm taking a website-building class at school, and I have to build a personal website as a term project. I've got a basic site online now (follow the link below, and choose HTML site), which I hand-coded in HTML. Now, I have to create a Dreamweaver version of the site, to run alongside the plain HTML site (you can choose to view one or the other). I have a link off the page listed below to the Dreamweaver version, but it contains only the main page, with a minor change from the HTML version.

Basically, I'm supposed to use Dreamweaver to create a fancied-up copy of the original HTML site, with extra features. If you look at my Dreamweaver page, you'll notice I've added CSS buttons in place of regular links. That's one change I thought of. My problem is that I have no idea what else I could do for my enhanced site. Please take a look at my HTML site, and give your recommendations for additions or changes.

http://hal.cs.camosun.bc.ca/~cst02039/

Spookster
11-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Cannot find server or DNS Error

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 01:19 AM
It's the school server, it might have been down for maintenance or something. I just checked the site, and it was OK.

ronaldb66
11-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Grant,

maybe you could use CSS to dress up the pages, like setting the font so the standard browser font won't show up, creating fancy headings (colored background, inverted text color, or something boxy), placing the copyright notice in a page footer, and heving it stand out against the main content...

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks.
1. I already have CSS on the pages, for the background color, text color, links, etc.
2. I've been thinking of either creating graphics or DHTML for those headings.
3. What do you mean by a page footer?

Originally posted by ronaldb66
Grant,

maybe you could use CSS to dress up the pages, like setting the font so the standard browser font won't show up, creating fancy headings (colored background, inverted text color, or something boxy), placing the copyright notice in a page footer, and heving it stand out against the main content...

cg9com
11-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Grant Palin

3. What do you mean by a page footer?

dont have your copyright floating around

Spookster
11-14-2002, 04:53 PM
I got Cannot find server or DNS Error again.

ionsurge
11-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Put your footer at the very bottom of your page, not at the center of where you will have your text.

Also, change the color of the buttons, - I personally hate the color black, it sucks the life out of the page. (no offense to the cf header :o).

Ionsurge.

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 07:49 PM
That's probably because I had just made changes to my site. Whenever I make changes, the access settign are reset to none- like I said, this is on my school server. I have to go into the file's properties and change the permissions to allow the page to be viewed over the internet. It's driving me crazy! Ii should work now, though. I sometimes forget to fix the permissions right away...

Originally posted by Spookster
I got Cannot find server or DNS Error again.

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 07:51 PM
How do I do that? I mean, it won't move down unless I insert more content above it...

As for the buttons, I haven't perfected them...yet. Soon...soon.

Originally posted by ionsurge
Put your footer at the very bottom of your page, not at the center of where you will have your text.

Also, change the color of the buttons, - I personally hate the color black, it sucks the life out of the page. (no offense to the cf header :o).

Ionsurge.

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Have another look, ionsurge. I tweaked it a little. Do you like the look better now?

Spookster
11-14-2002, 08:35 PM
Might want to reset the permissions again. I am getting not found again. Or maybe I wasn't meant to look at it. :)

cg9com
11-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
maybe I wasn't meant to look at it.

aaaww poor Spookster lol

you should prolly only use 1 stylesheet instead of 2, i see that for your dreamweaver page, you added an extra css for buttons, that can just be placed inside the other orignal sheet, you dont have to call the buttons if you dont want to :D

i like the "welcome" header <hr> tags, i never thought of something like that :) :)

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 09:24 PM
No, that was me. I was moving pages around and renaming them. A few links escaped my notice. Try it now- it should work.

Grant Palin
11-14-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by cg9com

you should prolly only use 1 stylesheet instead of 2

Why?

i like the "welcome" header <hr> tags, i never thought of something like that :) :)

Thanks, I like it too.

Spookster
11-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Grant Palin
Try it now- it should work.

Nope. I think you are just messing with me. Let's see if we can get Spook to look at the Server not found page again. :rolleyes:

whammy
11-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Shows up fine for me... IMHO the only one that shows potential is the DW site. Sorry. :(

Grant Palin
11-15-2002, 01:42 AM
IMHO the only one that shows potential is the DW site. Sorry. :(

Why do you say that?

whammy
11-15-2002, 01:44 AM
The other ones are just graphically weak...

I myself was a graphic artist for many years, but I'm so burnt out that I can't do anything that's exciting to me graphically (on a website, at least - although I can still sell paintings with no problem), and I don't have the time to do it if I wished. All of my coding time right now is pretty much devoted to learning .NET technologies. :(

I just personally don't like the layout and colors you're using, and think that the button layout that your DW site uses looks a bit better. The colors are all wrong, and clash with each other. I know this probably isn't much help, but you did ask for opinions. ;)

Grant Palin
11-15-2002, 02:34 AM
That's right I did ask for opinions. I chose light blue, dark blue, red, and white because I thought they contrasted well. Do you think otherwise? And what is it about the layout that you don't like? If you have any other comments, please put them here!

For those who have been having trouble accessing my site on the school server, I've put a copy of the site on another server. Use the link below to visit that version.

http://www1.freewebs.com/hommworld/Other/

whammy
11-15-2002, 03:03 AM
Well, to begin with, blue and red don't usually mix too well. And from what I saw, you were using a lot of different shades of blue (which isn't necessarily bad depending on how they are used, but you have no contrast in your page).

White shouldn't ever be a problem.

The main thing that got to me was the way you used red white and blue together, and way too much blue and too many variations of blue.

I wish I could be more exacting and detailed in my description, but it's more of an "overall impression" kind of thing, when you look at the page, and demands an understanding of "thirds" when it comes to graphics.

Perhaps I will post again tomorrow on this subject, but I am just too tired now.

Please take this as constructive criticism, because that's all it is. :)

Grant Palin
11-15-2002, 03:43 AM
2 shades of blue: light, and dark.

Altogether, I've got 5 main colors:

light blue (side gradient, lines)
dark blue (page headings, links)
red (visited links)
white (page background color)
black (regular text)

I could change the black text to dark blue, dark enough to be easily readable. I could remove the red visited links, and keep them blue.

What do you think?

cg9com
11-15-2002, 04:41 AM
as far as your stylesheets go, i was just suggesting that 1 instead of 2 would load faster, doesnt really effect it much though, thats all :)

ionsurge
11-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Palin, if you want to get your footer at the bottom, just use a table and stick all the copyright stuff in it. Make sure your text and graphics are put above the table.

If you want to see an example, go to my site (www.ionsurge.com). I have done a similar thing there, but I have used a table for the content, and placed the copyright notice at the very bottom.

:thumbsup:

Ionsurge.

whammy
11-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Ok, I was counting the default "blue" color for links as well - as that color goes doesn't work with the other two blues you're using. Makes it seem like a couple more blues to me. :)

You might want to use a stylesheet to pick a color for your links that goes better with the blues you have chosen to use for your layout. :D

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 01:06 AM
Have a look now (using the new link I gave yesterday- ignore the first one). I replaced the red visited link with white, and made the links the same dark blue as the heading text on hover, and regular link. What do you think now?

whammy
11-16-2002, 01:13 AM
That is definitely a better link color since it matches your logo! (although you didn't update the CSS on the intro page)... I'd try aligning the stuff in your nav menu left, though, and see what you think of that... it just looks funny IMHO all centered - like nothing is aligned or orderly.

Also, I personally don't like the use of "Times New Roman" (the default font in Windows) for your site... I would go with something a little more suited for a computer monitor.

P.S. I am talking about the "HTML Site".

:D

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Yes, just forget about the Dreamweaver page for now.

I think those links look better now too, but now I have a problem: those styles apply to the navigation links AND to the content links (eg. on my Links page). What that means is when I mouseover those content links, they disappear, because they're set to white, the same color as the background! So I guess that means I have to put a new color in there, so the content links stay visible. What would you suggest? I'm thinking the same color as the side gradient, maybe?

If it's okay, I'll worry about the font later: I want to get the color thing nailed down first.

whammy
11-16-2002, 02:03 AM
Just use a different class for the menu and content:

http://www.w3schools.com/css

Classes own. Besides, "id" in CSS conflicts with XHTML if you use it on more than one element.

:)

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 04:32 AM
Actually, I just beat you to that idea, and that site. I've uploaded a new style sheet- see if you like it better now. I've also left-aligned the navigation lionks like you suggested, and I actually think they look better that way. And what would you suggest for a proper font to use on my site?

whammy
11-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Not sure, really - ;)

But that looks much better. :D

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Aww, come onnnnnnn...You brought it up after all.

I'm glad you like the site's look better- any other ideas?

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 07:42 PM
I've made some changes to my front page so it's a little fancier now. I've created a table and links with CSS, but I have a question regarding that. If you see my table on the front page, you'll notice that the table has 2 borders: 1 around the table itself, and another around each individual cell. What I want to do is get rid of the single border around the table, leaving only the borders around the single cells. How could I do that? Nested tables?

Grant Palin
11-16-2002, 11:59 PM
Never mind my last post about the table borders. I just worked a little magic with nesting tables and fixed up the look.

doni
11-17-2002, 12:00 AM
I just went to your site and your background and the links are so near the same that it was almost impossible to read them.

Never mind--I hadn't gotten to the point in this thread that said you had posted the site on a NEW server.

Grant Palin
11-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Yeah, and besides, those links were set at the default colors. I've changed them using CSS.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum