View Full Version : CSS layer - how to get it to hug the bottom

blueuniverse
09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Fairly simple I'd have thought but under closer inspection, perhaps not. Would be grateful if anybody could help out with it.

Anyway, what I need to do is to get an image to stay in the bottom right. This is easy with absolute positioning but when you scroll down it remains in position. I can't specify it as a background image because I've already got one.

The rest of the layout is relatively positioned but that probably doesn't make any difference.

So to sum up, how can you get a layer to hug the bottom of the page even when you scroll down?

Thanks in advance,
Ed :thumbsup:

ttttt
09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Just set the absolute positioning to:

div.name{position:absolute; bottom:1px; right:1px;}

blueuniverse
09-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Same result as having bottom: 0px and right: 0px;

Absolute positioning applies to the initial browser position but doesn't follow when you scroll.

eak
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
you want position:fixed;

IE does not support this though.

ttttt
09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Can you post a link to your site?

blueuniverse
10-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately not, I have to keep it confidential until it's released and IE support is important moreso than anything else so fixed isn't really an option. I guess I'll have to do without it for the time being. Thanks for the help.

Graft-Creative
10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi,

Try this:

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/fixed.html

...and this:

http://www.divinentd.com/experiments/emulating-position-fixed.html

Kind regards,

Gary

danichu
10-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Have you thought about positioning the image as an image and set its z-index to 1 and set the z-index to the content text to 5. This should allow the text to flow over the image as if it were a background no problem!

#YourPicture img {
position:absolute;
bottom:0;
right:0;
z-index:1;
}

#content {
position:relative;
z-index:5;
}

then put all you text in <div id=content>YourText</div>

That should do the trick.