View Full Version : IE not displaying my header properly

Flic
09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I've got a short bit of code, which I literally just whipped up. Anyway, its supposed to be the full width of the page, in IE its a bit short, in Firefox its perfect.

I know of a way to get around it that would probably work but will take more time than this little problem deserves, so was wondering if there was something simple that I could change.

Below is the code, its not much but its just the beginning and i want to get it sorted before I continue.

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">

#header {
position: absolute;
background-color: #8C0000;
height: 100px; width: 100%;
left: 0px; top: 0px;
}

</style>
</head>

<body>
<div id="header">&nbsp</div>

</body>
</html>

Thank you for any help!

Flic

BonRouge
09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
You need a valid DTD.

hurloon
09-22-2006, 04:32 PM
your code should be like this bacuse of preset margins and paddings in different browsers:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html dir="ltr" lang="en">

<head>
<style type="text/css">
html, body {
padding:0;
margin:0;
}
#header {
position: absolute;
background-color: #8C0000;
height: 100px; width: 100%;
left: 0px; top: 0px;
}

</style>
</head>

<body>
<div id="header">&nbsp</div>

</body>
</html>

Flic
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
your code should be like this bacuse of preset margins and paddings in different browsers:

html, body {
padding:0;
margin:0;
}

Perfect, thank you!

Flic
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Ok, so setting the padding and margin for the page worked for the problem I had, but now i've taken the code a tiny bit further and have come acropper.

I've uploaded what I've done at http://airraid.mancubus.net/flic/coder/design.html

If you view this using firefox its perfect, yet again it is IE that is showing it incorrectly. On the right hand side there is a 1px gap between the curve and the side. Right is set to 0px.

Once again, any help is appreciated

Flic

PS. I know that I need to add DTD.

BonRouge
09-22-2006, 07:48 PM
There's no point testing without a valid DTD. The page will probably render differently when you finally add it. I haven't checked, but it's actually possible that your current problem could go away if you put your DTD in now.

Flic
09-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Hm, apparently I underestimated DTD!

You're right, it did fix it.

Thank you!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum