...

View Full Version : 3GHz Pentium 4



oracleguy
11-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Intel is going to be releasing their 3GHz Pentium 4 processor this Thursday. Its gonna have some new hyperthreading technology in it. New P4s with the new hyperthreading are gonna have a 'HT' on the P4 logo. What the hyperthreading is supposed to do is increase efficiency on the existing P4 architecture. Looks to be intresting!

cg9com
11-11-2002, 07:45 PM
suweet

whackaxe
11-11-2002, 09:25 PM
3GZ! im just going to hide with my 400mz....

cg9com
11-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by whackaxe
3GZ! im just going to hide with my 400mz....

nice to see im not the only one with a tiny processor. lol
except, yes you have me beat

mouse
11-12-2002, 06:34 AM
3.06GHz to be exact :D

Hyperthreading has been known about for some time, rumour has it all P4's have it but it's been disabled. It's beneficial with multiprocessor supporting software which sends multiple threads to the cpu's. With the P4 - and Xeon's - there is only one cpu but logic units within the chip are used simultaneously to give a multiprocessor effect.

Benefits of up to 20% apparently, the coolest thing is you'll get two graphs in Windows (XP,2k etc) when you [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] as Windows essentially thinks it's running two cpu's, or with a dual Xeon setup four! :D

Must bear in mind though; P4's have been overclocked to near 4.5GHz :eek: no need to buy these premium chips.

oracleguy
11-12-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mouse

Must bear in mind though; P4's have been overclocked to near 4.5GHz :eek: no need to buy these premium chips.

Yeah and think how high they can get now if they start at 3gig, maybe 5.5? :)

cg9com
11-12-2002, 08:34 PM
um, how do you do that

scroots
11-12-2002, 09:15 PM
i have a 475MHz processor i think i will hide in the back room, doh i`m in the back room.

overclocking is where you tell your pc that it has a faster processor than it has.

scroots

jkd
11-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by cg9com
um, how do you do that

With liquid nitrogen and no fear of losing $100's of dollars of hardware.

oracleguy
11-13-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by jkd


With liquid nitrogen and no fear of losing $100's of dollars of hardware.

And from what I remember, they weren't able to keep it at 4+GHz for very long.

You can safely overclock a P4 with just air cooling but only a few hundred megahertz, but it doesn't matter how much you overclock, as soon as you do you void your warrenty.

cg9com
11-13-2002, 02:22 AM
hehe, thats intresting.
so basically it overheats

kwhubby
11-13-2002, 06:53 AM
how do you overclock your processor?

(what do you do to your machine?)

cg9com
11-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by jkd

With liquid nitrogen and no fear of losing $100's of dollars of hardware.


btw jkd, is your signature supposed to be zerowing?
ive been meaning to ask you that forever

mouse
11-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by kwhubby
how do you overclock your processor?

(what do you do to your machine?) Your cpu speed is derived from two things; what's known as the 'multiplier' and the front side bus frequency (fsb). multiplier x fsb = clock. Multipliers are generally locked and unchangeable, the fsb may be altered in the bios depending on your motherboard.

Overclocking means heat though which is why LN2, freon coolers like the vapochill and prometia, and TEC/H2O coolers are often used.

The smaller manufacturing process used for the P4 - and now top XP chips - means the chips use less power and so give off less, heat being the overclockers enemy means the gains in overclocking these chips are quite high.

whackaxe
11-13-2002, 02:25 PM
what is a good % or proportion should one respect when overclocking as a general rule?

snakewithatilda
11-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by oracleguy
Intel is going to be releasing their 3GHz Pentium 4 processor this Thursday. Its gonna have some new hyperthreading technology in it. New P4s with the new hyperthreading are gonna have a 'HT' on the P4 logo. What the hyperthreading is supposed to do is increase efficiency on the existing P4 architecture. Looks to be intresting!


Im more of an AMD type of person so Ill wait for the AMD version to come out.

snakewithatilda
11-13-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by whackaxe
what is a good % or proportion should one respect when overclocking as a general rule?

I say depends on the cpu. Generly overclocking an AMD is bad cause for the most part they make them to use their top speed. With Intel you can pump them up a little bit, but you just go beyond that point..... and your fried!

Plus there is no reason to try to overclock a 3GHZ cpu. Right now I dont know anything a normal user or gamer could use that would need that power anyway. (besides bragging rights hehe)

Borgtex
11-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by snakewithatilda

Plus there is no reason to try to overclock a 3GHZ cpu. Right now I dont know anything a normal user or gamer could use that would need that power anyway. (besides bragging rights hehe)


I'm sure that there are already a huge amount of bad programmers, useless applications features and poorly designed OS and drivers coming, with the only goal to make it work slow and out of resources ;)

snakewithatilda
11-13-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Borgtex



I'm sure that there are already a huge amount of bad programmers, useless applications features and poorly designed OS and drivers coming, with the only goal to make it work slow and out of resources ;)

well I guess you are right. Rofl. Yes microsoft probaly will do that.

jkd
11-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by cg9com
btw jkd, is your signature supposed to be zerowing?
ive been meaning to ask you that forever

Yeah. :)

cg9com
11-13-2002, 06:51 PM
funny :)
i still have that game lol

mouse
11-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by snakewithatilda
I say depends on the cpu. Generly overclocking an AMD is bad cause for the most part they make them to use their top speed. With Intel you can pump them up a little bit, but you just go beyond that point..... and your fried! the latest AMD has reached 3.3GHz overclocked with liquid nitrogen. :eek:

P4's have a thermal shutdown built in along with thermal throttling, this means it slows down when it gets too hot then shuts down completely. This has saved several of my P4 chips when my peltier's power supply has cut out. The only way to stuff a P4 is by using too high a voltage along with sustained high temperatures. The AMD thermal shutdown takes 10 seconds or so, by which time the cpu has likely caught fire. :D

ionsurge
11-15-2002, 10:40 AM
You could clock P4s to a lot more, go to www.frozencpu.com and check out what they have.

If you got the cash, go full out, and get a machine from www.xdreammachines.com - and I must say a WOW to that.


Ionsurge.

kwhubby
11-16-2002, 03:00 AM
Holy !@#$ that dream machine place can give you a machine for 12000$ omg:eek: :eek: Jessus who would want a machine like that!!???

Thejavaman1
11-16-2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by snakewithatilda



Im more of an AMD type of person so Ill wait for the AMD version to come out.

Chances are there won't be an AMD chip with hyperthreading for a while if ever. The closest thing you will see soon will be a dual core hammer chip...

mouse
11-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Thejavaman1


Chances are there won't be an AMD chip with hyperthreading for a while if ever. The closest thing you will see soon will be a dual core hammer chip... Yav gotta admit AMD are nowhere at the moment.

When I followed these things a little closer, their roadmap had Clawhammer being released about now, infact it won't be here for another 12months or so. The top XP's are being paper released but not actually reaching stores in any numbers. And Intel are urinating on them in performance terms.

I had Clawhammer down as my next major upgrade between P4 and Prescott core but now it looks like those two chips (or some kind of Hammer chip) will go head to head, I only see Prescott winning really.

kwhubby
11-17-2002, 09:40 AM
its funny, everybody seems to be arguing about whats better, Amd or Intel. I wonder what info is true and what is opinion.

Thejavaman1
11-18-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by mouse
Yav gotta admit AMD are nowhere at the moment.

When I followed these things a little closer, their roadmap had Clawhammer being released about now, infact it won't be here for another 12months or so. The top XP's are being paper released but not actually reaching stores in any numbers. And Intel are urinating on them in performance terms.

I had Clawhammer down as my next major upgrade between P4 and Prescott core but now it looks like those two chips (or some kind of Hammer chip) will go head to head, I only see Prescott winning really.

I want some nice GB with DDR400 lurving. :eek:

The new athlons are nice, if you can get one. But right now the sweet spot for intel is the 2.53 or 2.66. GB will be nice, but I still stand behind the 845PE (well E, but PE for hyperthread support) chipset as being the best for right now, especially for overclocking...



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum