View Full Version : which is your favourite browser out of firefox and ie7?

googleit
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
which is your favourite browser out of firefox & ie7 and why?

rafiki
09-03-2006, 11:49 PM
firefox, it owns all aspects of internet explorer havent tried ie7 but i never liked ie since i started using ff

felgall
09-04-2006, 02:43 AM
IE7 is still effectively a five year old browser with respect to standards.

googleit
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
yeah firefx is the best webbrowser there is

Phill
09-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I use Firefox, although any standards-compliant browser would be my preference over IE. In fact, sometimes I think phoning up whoever it was who made the website, getting them to dictate the HTML code to me over the phone, typing it out in notepad, and then running it on my PC would be preferable to using IE.

As for using Firefox over other decent browsers, I think it's the extensions which win me over. Firefox has some great extensions which I love :D

ttttt
09-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Firefox. Most definately. Because it's:
1. Not Microsoft (yay!)
2. It works
3. It barely ever crashes
4. It has easily writable/downloadable plugins
5. It's open source (I can take it apart when I feel like it)
6. The webpages are desplayed normally (on one of my sites, one off the elements had no aligning, so IE centered it?)

GJay
09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
A protest vote for Opera.

marek_mar
09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
http://a51.neostrada.pl/images/joined.gif

felgall
09-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Opera is way better than Firefox although not as much better than Firefox as Firefox is compared to IE (but then IE7 is still so far behind the standards that plain text would be better than IE)..

hurloon
09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
the fox (http://lug.oregonstate.edu/albums/firefox-crop-circle/mg_5560.sized.jpg)
firefox owns, opera is good, but fire fox is just the way it must be

googleit
09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
hmm i have never tryed opera .. il download it a check it out now :)

Aradon
09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
hmm i have never tryed opera .. il download it a check it out now :)

Don't do it! It's a trick!! :P

goughy000
09-07-2006, 09:55 PM
i cant be doing with the loading times of firefox.. ie7 it is

*holds head in shame*

Aradon
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM
have you tried fasterfox? (extension)

goughy000
09-09-2006, 11:23 AM
i mean loading firefox..

not firefox loading web pages

i have no doubt that firefox loads pages faster than ie7 or any other ie for that matter.

i also have no doubt that other browsers are faster than firefox.

googleit
09-09-2006, 12:14 PM
i mean loading firefox..

not firefox loading web pages

i have no doubt that firefox loads pages faster than ie7 or any other ie for that matter.

i also have no doubt that other browsers are faster than firefox.

nah firefox = best :D

Velox Letum
09-09-2006, 05:32 PM
People who use IE7 shall be burned at the stake! Heathens!

googleit
09-09-2006, 05:37 PM
lol yeh i cant understand y they still use ie7 :mad:

Aradon
09-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Well we have to remember that for some people IE7 is the internet. Just like some older people think aol is the internet. My parents for example wont go away from aol (thank god it's free now for their broadband) because they don't understand how you can have internet without it.

Frankly, I like flock. But the last time I used it they still had some work to do. I'll have to check up on it soon.

Spookster
09-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I use FF because it has many nice features that IE doesn't. I also only use Linux at home so IE is no longer a feasible option.

googleit
09-09-2006, 08:33 PM
spookster how much does it cost to by linux im think of gettin rid of windows?

Spookster
09-09-2006, 09:19 PM
spookster how much does it cost to by linux im think of gettin rid of windows?

Linux is free. Just download (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download) it and burn it to CD's or a DVD. But let's not sidetrack this topic with that.

Shortcake
09-18-2006, 03:30 AM
Firefox

ArcticFox
09-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Firefox is the best.

syosoft
10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Last time i tried opera it was loaded w/ ads which is enough reason to immediately remove it from your operating system....haven't they moved to a paid model?

vinyl-junkie
10-02-2006, 03:39 AM
I know it's fashionable among Web developers to bash Microsoft every chance you get, but frankly, I think IE7 has some very nice - and dare I say it, Firefox-ish features to it. My vote goes to IE7. :thumbsup:

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I like firefox. I love its extensions. Since Opera 8.5 it has been ad free. The latest version probably adheres to standards better than Firefox but its not that customizable. IE7 is pretty easy to code for. If your site looks good in Firefox, good chance it will look good in IE7. That doctype is the key. IE6 is another story.

JamieR
10-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I got for Firefox, as always :)
I'm not having a pop here, but I think that it's pretty pointless starting "IE or firefox" threads over and over again..or "which browser is the best?" - CF has a fair few of these threads around, just search for them!

vinyl-junkie
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I think that it's pretty pointless starting "IE or firefox" threads over and over again..or "which browser is the best?" - CF has a fair few of these threads around, just search for them!
IE7 is vastly different from IE6. Microsoft has fixed a number of the annoying bugs that have been around for a long time. I think considering that we're really comparing a new version of IE to FF, this thread is fair game and not a rehash of prior ones.

Brandoe85
10-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I vote for asp.net.

Ok....and Firefox.

sinkhead
10-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I prefer Opera. It's faster and uses less memory (or it seems to) and I usually have a lot of memory-hungry applications open on my computer.
- Sam

felgall
10-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Opera 9 (released several months back), Firefox 2 (due for release soon, and Internet Explorer 9 are all basically equivalent and compatible (at least I assume that IE9 will be basically the same but at Microsoft's current rate of releasing browser upgrades we'll need to wait 20 years to find out and by then Opera 18 and Firefox 11 will be out).

VortexCortex
10-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Two words: Open Source.

Let me get this straight:
I'm supposed to trust my credit card information with someone who won't even show me how they're going to handle the information?

-------- analogy ---------
FF: Want to have a look around before you make this your base of operations? Sure, infact here's the blueprints -- use them to build a new warehouse from scratch if you like. (open source)

IE: You have to do business in my warehouse it's the only one around...
Oh, first let me blindfold you so you can't see what's really going on... this is for your own protection. (closed source)

rpgfan3233
10-11-2006, 09:09 AM
IE7 is a huge improvement over IE6, but it still has a good way to go before it catches up to the others like Opera and Firefox. Firefox 2.0 will have my vote when it is released. Until then, I choose Firefox 2.0 RC2. :)

vinyl-junkie
10-11-2006, 12:01 PM
IE7 is a huge improvement over IE6, but it still has a good way to go before it catches up to the others like Opera and Firefox.
I'm curious what you think is still missing from IE7. Would you care to elaborate?

rpgfan3233
10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm curious what you think is still missing from IE7. Would you care to elaborate?
Good things about IE7 as of RC1:
Improved security
Phishing filter (as long as it doesn't slow down your Web surfing)
Back button+Forward button+History menu rather than Back button/Forward button
Compactness, though it is a bit too compact for efficiency occasionally, IMHO
Multiple homepages
Fixed quite a few CSS bugs that are present in IE6
Bad things about IE7 as of RC1:
XHTML support is not there, despite developers arguing the fact that the XML parser could be used rather than hacking the HTML parser to bits and pieces (personally, I am wondering why doesn't MS just allow them work together?)
The fix for the bug regarding things before the DOCTYPE, including whitespace, was to ignore anything before the DOCTYPE. This of course only applies to HTML documents, but this makes using XML-based languages with HTML 4.01-compatible XHTML harder.
Really, my biggest problem with IE7 is XHTML support. I dislike using PHP scripts to serve up the correct MIME type and DOCTYPE and remove the trailing slashes and such from my XHTML documents. Then I need to add extra things to make external CSS work:
the HTML way: <LINK> (in the HEAD element)
the (often recommended) XHTML way: <?xml-stylesheet?> (before the DOCTYPE)
the CSS way: @import (within <STYLE></STYLE>|<style></style> blocks)
Adding some decent looking <STYLE>|<style> blocks just for a single @import rule, along with maybe CSS comments for CDATA if I'm using XHTML, clutters my HTML/XHTML markup. As a result, I prefer the single-line <LINK>|<link/> elements or <?xml-stylesheet?> if I'm using XHTML, and I prefer XHTML, meaning that I prefer the <?xml-stylesheet?> method.

Other than that, IE7 is fine right now. I still wouldn't trade Firefox for it, but I do admit that it does make me consider starting to develop for IE as well as Firefox when I do my own hobby Web pages rather than just for Firefox. In fact, while I was testing an IE7 Beta release (I can't remember which one), I had a CSS drop-down menu playing along rather nicely a few weeks ago. Nevertheless, I still feel IE7 has a bit more to go due mainly to the XHTML issue. Without the ability to interface XHTML with other XML languages, I feel somewhat limited.

freelancer111
10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey Firefox rules!!! Not a single day passes without learning something new about Firefox and its ability to make your web browsing experience more fun. Firefox it is!!

1212jtraceur
10-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Firefox 2 RC 2. It's free (as in free speech) and has awesome extensions (AdBlock, Advanced Dork:, PageStyle2Tab, Tabs Open Relative, etc...).

error792
10-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Firefox. Definitely.

Sometimes I start thinking that IE is actually not that bad, if you ignore the no-XHTML-or-SVG problems. Then I try to code some DHTML for it. :D

<?austin ?>
11-04-2006, 12:09 AM

i believe that is inappropiate.

LucyLocket
11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
I prefer firefox. I was told by my tutor that ie can still read files on your computer when web browers aren't supposed to be able to which kind of put me off. It seems to handle web pages better as well and by that I mean web pages i've written. I also prefer firefox to opera.

rLarson
11-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Regardless for how well one likes or dislikes a browser, in the real world corporate intranets as well as major internet functions such as online banking, all use the msie as the standard. Browsers that do not attempt to follow some type of standard only muddy the waters causing what happened in the past to only happen again where more than one way to accomplish the same thing ruins it for all. Firefox is a decent browser and so is MSIE. Much of what is in Firefox was for a long time existing as addons to msie and there were many context addons available to look at things behind the scene. I was a bit surprised when fellow co-workers brought this to my attention when Firefox first came out. One not in the know viewed Firefox and being awsome... while many realized their (Firefox's) creative chest thumping merely copied existing addons functionality... which was exactly what people back in the day were complaining about Microsoft... profiting on someone elses code.... The bottom line neither has offered anything new in years... and what firefox called new when it was new wasn't really new to those already using addons. Neither has shown "What's next"... and for us developers... I code for what big business has bought in to... and every client I've ever had is a MSIE shop. I'm tired of trying to consider code differences for the sake of some browsers independant inconsistancy. It's so very very old. Choose one and stick with it... I choose the leader... based on big business. ...enuf said:cool:

fractal
11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Firefox! There are just so many extensions for it. You can customize it to work exactly how you want it to.

Masterslave
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Firefox at Windows and at Linux.
Because it browses much better then IE.
And off course the render engine Gecko is much beter then the Trident engine.

I've tried to use Opera but, I doesn't feel good, the rendering engine is very good but the browsing experience isn't good, but that is my opinion.

The speed of Opera is really amazing, so fast!

Aradon
11-15-2006, 06:45 PM
i believe that is inappropiate.

That's okay, we have this:

http://www.elizabeth-dean.com/etc/lovefirefox.gif

marek_mar
11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Firefox does copy a lot from Opera...

googleit
11-17-2006, 09:23 PM
wow so many vote for ff and so many post 0.o. ff rules :)
http://www.elizabeth-dean.com/etc/lovefirefox.gif

Graft-Creative
11-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Opera has pretty much been rocking my socks for a few years now.

FF is the sneery open source know all, sat in the corner, all holier than thou.

Opera is just sex on legs :p

Gary

Brandoe85
11-17-2006, 10:03 PM
IE 9.1.14322 gets my vote.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum