View Full Version : Email form script

Abel
09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I've been working on a email script all day now with no such luck. I thought this would be very easy, but I guess not. None of the email scripts I found seem to work the way I want. I have the form page up fine. It's the action that I'm having trouble with. I don't want the action to be simply mailto:blah@blah.com. Does anyone have a good php script I could use?

Thanks.

vinyl-junkie
09-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Have you tried PHPMailer (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/)?

mark87
09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I just do something very simple like this...

<?php
$to = "email@email.com";
$subject = "Message from Contact Form";

$fname = $_POST['fname'];
$lname = $_POST['lname'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$web = $_POST['web'];
$msg = $_POST['msg'];

$body = "Sender: " . $fname . " " . $lname . "\n\nEmail: " . $email . "\n\nWebsite: " . $web . "\n\nMessage:\n\n" . $msg;

if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) { header("Location: sent.html"); }
else { header("Location: error.html"); }
?>

Abel
09-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks, worked great.

rafiki
09-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I've been working on a email script all day now with no such luck. I thought this would be very easy, but I guess not. None of the email scripts I found seem to work the way I want. I have the form page up fine. It's the action that I'm having trouble with. I don't want the action to be simply mailto:blah@blah.com. Does anyone have a good php script I could use?

Thanks.
abel this 1 will work, change the fields to get the message accordingly

<?php
$to = "youremail@yourdomain.com";
$Subject = "yourubjectl";
$message = "NAME: {$_POST['fieldname']} {$_POST['surname']}, DOB:{$_POST['DOB']}, Year in school:
{$_POST['school_year']}, siblings: {$_POST['siblings']}, bedtime: {$_POST['bedtime']},
homework time: {$_POST['homework']}, tv time: {$_POST['tv']}, computer time: {$_POST['computer']},
family time: {$_POST['family']}, time with friends: {$_POST['friends']}";
mail($to,$Subject,$message);
if(mail){
echo "<BR />Thanks, message sent";
}
else{
echo "<BR /> An Error occured";
}
?>

rafiki
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
and this on the page with your form on
<form action="pagewithemailscript.php" method="post">

pkarovsky
09-26-2006, 05:44 PM
This is a response to the post from Abel and reply by Rafiki

I used your script pretty much as is except I changed the variable names to match my HTML form and it seemed to work fine except that I didn't receive any email. Any suggestions?

mark87
09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Did you place your email in the variable too?
Is a spam filter blocking the email?
Have you tried specifying a different email to see that works?
Does the page navigate to sent.html (no error occured)?

pkarovsky
09-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Mark -- I sent you a private email by mistake, sorry. I'm using the php coding in your posting #3

I get the following error message

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/interven/public_html/mailform.php:9) in /home/interven/public_html/mailform.php on line 21

No, I did not get to "sent.html"

pkarovsky
09-27-2006, 03:25 AM
I tried your php code Rafiki and it worked without any errors but I didn't get any email?? I got the "message sent" page.

Once again I used "myusername@yahoo.com" rather than at my domainname.com. Does this matter?

vinyl-junkie
09-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Try it from another domain, such as a gmail account. If gmail thinks it's spam, at least it won't get thrown away before you ever see it.

rafiki
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
when i use my mail script i sent it to my gmail inbox and it was actually in my email inbox, not spam, didnt ever try hotmail or yahoo.. also try giving it a subject that doesnt look like a spam mail!

pkarovsky
09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
You were right. Yahoo was deleting the message as spam. I changed the subject and then it worked.

I need to send the person to a page rather than just getting the "your message has been sent" however. Can you help with this.

THANKS!

mark87
09-27-2006, 07:02 PM
If you're using Rafiki's code, use the if statement from mine instead...

pkarovsky
09-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks to all of you for your help. Much appreciated

pkarovsky
09-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Mark -- in response to your post

If you're using Rafiki's code, use the if statement from mine instead...

I get the following error message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/interven/public_html/jsmail.php:9) in /home/interven/public_html/jsmail.php on line 14

pkarovsky
09-28-2006, 04:55 AM
Mark87 -- Turns out the emails came even though I got the error message I just sent you. In fact I got 2 emails; one with a subject line and one without.

mark87
09-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry I forgot to change the field names... added into rafiki's...

<?php
$to = "youremail@yourdomain.com";
$Subject = "yourubjectl";
$message = "NAME: {$_POST['fieldname']} {$_POST['surname']}, DOB:{$_POST['DOB']}, Year in school:
{$_POST['school_year']}, siblings: {$_POST['siblings']}, bedtime: {$_POST['bedtime']},
homework time: {$_POST['homework']}, tv time: {$_POST['tv']}, computer time: {$_POST['computer']},
family time: {$_POST['family']}, time with friends: {$_POST['friends']}";
mail($to,$Subject,$message);
if(mail){
header("Location: sent.html");
}
else{
header("Location: error.html");
}
?>

ubik
09-28-2006, 11:30 PM
I remember seeing a thread with a similar topic and some people posted links to some resources explaining exploits of the mail() function in PHP, at the bottom of the page it gives some tips on preventing it, such as filtering and urldecode() and other things as well.

take a look at this link:

http://www.securephpwiki.com/index.php/Email_Injection

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum