View Full Version : donations

08-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey -

I made this successful non-profit site which has been up and running for just over 18 months. Since it costs me over a hundred bucks a year to host, I was thinking of adding a Paypal donations button. But, quite frankly, some (very little actually) content isn't mine. I found it on the internet. Would this be considered making a profit from somone else's work? And just how much is considered a profit seeing as I've been running at a loss for 18+ months?

Comments/suggestions welcome

08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Let us see what the site is before we decide.

If you have some valuable content people might donate,
otherwise, good luck.

08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I get a couple of emails a month expressing gratitude for the site's info. I imagine there are several more, perhaps a lot who have never bothered to write.

08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Why not then maybe make it so next to the donation button says exactly what the money will be used for? I take it mostly just paying for the hosting. So people know that their money is going towards making sure the site stays on the net.

What's the non-profit about? Can you give us the URL?

08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes...If I do this, I'm making a whole page explaining the above...maybe even sell it a little. :D
I've made yet another site that's very similar although without near as much info

09-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Everyone's missing the point surely?

But, quite frankly, some (very little actually) content isn't mine. I found it on the internet.

That's wrong no matter which way you look at it. Legitimise the site (by requesting to use the content from the owner, or removing the content) and then worry about making some money from it.

09-01-2006, 04:30 AM
Since I don't know who owns what, it's probably just easier to delete and call the site my own.