View Full Version : XML v/s PHP v/s Flash

08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Reading up on XML.
Browsers have come along way since 2000 and XML has a great deal of potential. But how does XML (along with XSL, XSLT, XSL-FO, XPath, XML-DOM, XQuery, XPointer and XLink (AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript and XML,)) stack up against the use of just PHP / Javascript or Flash?

08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
you cant compare apples to robots to trees

XML is a language for describing and defining data, also a meta language
PHP is a server-side-script
Flash is a Object Oriented Programming language used to create interactive programs which you CAN put on the web, same for java.

XML doesnt work on the Server, PHP doesnt work on the client, Flash doesnt run on the web, it can when embedded

sorry, cant compare...

08-31-2006, 10:25 PM

thanks. that helps me define how it should and can be used; but XML doesn't seem to be the most efficient method of defining data.

09-01-2006, 01:04 AM
with xml+dtd you can create your own HTML... it is the most efficient language for defining data

there is a language called svg and it creates flash-like graphics with XML, i think it can create a serve-side-script

it depends what you need to do, there is no need to invent a language to make a website, or use flash instead of html ;)

09-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks Deloche,

Forgot about Scalable Vector Graphics.
I'd heard of SVG but didn't think much about it. Another article I'd read indicated the SVG wasn't as advanced as Flash.