View Full Version : Need some help with my search box please ..

08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi all, i would like some help with something if you would be so kind. I posted this in the php thread but was told (on another forum) that it is a javascript solution thats needed. He said:

"make the onchange event of your select box call a js function that validates the selected value, changes the action of the form, and submits"

I have this search box in my header ..

With this code.

<div style="padding:5px;">
<form method="get" action="http://www.xxxxxxx.com/yyyyyy/">
<table style="width:50%;" cellpadding="5">
<td style="vertical-align:top;font-size:9pt;">
input type="text" value="search ..." id="search" onkeyup="searchSel()">
<SELECT id="groups">
<option value="">Select:</option>
<option value="user">Users</option>
<option value="event">Events</option>
<option value="gallery">Gallery</option>
<input type="submit" value="Go" class="mainmenu66" onmouseover="this.className='mainmenu77';" onmouseout="this.className='mainmenu66';"

And am trying to do 2 things.

1. Remove the 'go' button, and have it execute the search when the user selects an option from the drop down box.

2. The 'action' of the form to goto a different place depending on the users selection within the drop down box -

So; if they select 'Users'.. it goes to xxxxxx.com/searchusers, if they select events it goes to xxxxx.com/searchevents etc.

Can anyone give me some ideas/code as to how i can implement this, Or, if anyone has some example code or something to help me along that would be awesome too? Have't had much luck with google when i searched for stuff ... my javascript knowledge is limited to a single university assignment so not very good, but not 100% noob .. just 90% hehe :D.

Thanks to any and all who input into the thread :)

Mr J
08-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Something on these lines maybe

<script type="text/javascript">
function loadPage(obj){
location.href = obj.options[obj.options.selectedIndex].value;

<select name="s2" size="1" onchange="loadPage(this)">
<option value="">Select</option>
<option value="page1.htm">Link 1</option>
<option value="page2.htm">Link 2</option>
<option value="page3.htm">Link 3</option>

08-31-2006, 03:19 AM
Awesome man thanks so much!! Works perfectly :)

One final question... i want to put "enter search ..." in the textarea, and when the user clicks to write something in there it clears the textarea first.

Im going to give it a play now as i imagine its a very small amount of code but if anyone knows off the top of their head plz write it here :)

And thanks again!!

08-31-2006, 03:22 AM
edit: nevermind fixed this issue.. just the one before it left. Thanks.