View Full Version : Stumped - Trying to delete a file

wabirdman
08-28-2006, 01:01 PM
My son downloaded an installer for a game called "the game of life". The installer is an .exe file (TheGameOfLife-dm.exe - 208k)

The game has been downloaded, installed, played etc etc. I want to delete the installer because every time I turn the computer on it automatically starts to download the game again.

I have tried deleting the .exe file but always get this error message "It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again"

So I find the file that the download has created and delete that and then try to delete the installer again. No luck, same error.

I have even uninstalled the game and I still get the same error.

My O/S is XP Pro SP2 and my login account is an Administrator account. How do I get rid of this damned file?

NancyJ
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
have you tried booting in safe mode? Also remove the entry in the startup (start->run->msconfig)

daniel_g
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
or use cntrl-alt-del, and kill all suspicious processes. Then try deleting the installer

wabirdman
08-30-2006, 07:21 AM
have you tried booting in safe mode? Also remove the entry in the startup (start->run->msconfig)

I will try looking at the startup option

or use cntrl-alt-del, and kill all suspicious processes. Then try deleting the installer

I have already done that with no luck.

wabirdman
08-31-2006, 04:37 AM
I stopped the file from loading in the msconfig and I still cant delete the file.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum