View Full Version : Rip DVD

thesmart1
08-27-2006, 09:37 PM
How would I rip a DVD (like ripping a CD) onto my computer (preferrably as an mpg)?

thesmart1
09-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I know you can't do it in iTunes, XP's Media Center, or Windows Media Player...

dan.s
09-09-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dvd+rippers&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-09-2006, 10:07 PM
www.doom9.org has the tools you will need just make sure ripping dvds isn't illegal in your country.

Codingforums.com nor _Aerospace_Eng_ take no responsibility for the actions brought forth by the original poster shall his actions be against the law in his/her country.

intiendes
09-11-2006, 04:47 AM
www.doom9.org has the tools you will need just make sure ripping dvds isn't illegal in your country.

Codingforums.com nor _Aerospace_Eng_ take no responsibility for the actions brought forth by the original poster shall his actions be against the law in his/her country.

i think its not legal anywhere ... it would be categorized as Piracy?

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-11-2006, 05:25 AM
I know its not legal in the US. Other countries might not have such laws. Don't know.

Basscyst
09-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Hmm? I'm pretty sure I can make a copy of a dvd I own, for myself, without risking litigation. I just can't sell it or distribute it. . . .

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess you can't make a direct copy of a DvD legally, however so long as one does not decode the CSS (content scrambling system) imposed on a dvd in doing so, it is still well within your rights. There are tons of work arounds to this, so it seems moot.

Basscyst

oracleguy
09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
That is the problem in the US with the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). Under fair use you can legally make a backup of a DVD you own. However because of the DMCA if you bypass any copy protection in the process of excercising your legal right to make a backup, you have just broken the law.

Basscyst
09-14-2006, 11:21 PM
It makes me wonder, if I say, plug my dvd player into my vcr and record it as it is played, or into my tv tuner card as it is played on my pc. Would that be considered bypassing the code? In what I've just been reading it seems that so long as in copying I recieve a degradation in quality and I haven't used a third party software to crack the css I'm in the clear?

Coming from someone who owns over 500 dvds AND previews these dvds while they are still in theaters at home (you know what I'm implying). This kind of irks me.

I'm a firm believer that you should pay for being entertained, not the promise of entertainment. Entertainment is one of the few industries where you pay and only hope to get what you paid for, and if you don't it's not like other industries that share that similarity (food services) where if I am unsatisfied, a return of my money is possible.

As an artist I feel that is arrogant to assume payment prior to inspiring your target. This however also assumes that others will practice the same moral standards in recieving inspiration from the arts and pay when they feel it is appropriate. Which I am sad to say would only seem possible in a utopia. . . .

Sorry if I started swaying off topic, I just get so heated on this subject matter.

thesmart1
09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I think, since I BOUGHT the DVD, I should be able to do whatever I want with it (as long as I don't copy it to give or sell to other people, which I'm not). I just want my movies on my computer without always having to put in the DVD.

marek_mar
09-15-2006, 12:15 AM
I've recently seen a DVD released in my country of something that wasn't available at all nor on TV. I have downloaded it long befre the DVD was relesed. I wanted to buy the DVD becouse I liked the show but I only have a a PC DVD player. The DVD had such a protection that it wouldn't run on a PC at all. I'd have to rip it to watch it. I decided not to buy it afterall.

krucial
09-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Can't you back-up your dvd's? If not, I've been breaking the law :-p.

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-19-2006, 01:03 AM
You can but while doing so you can't break the CSS encryption. That is the part that is illegal. Most DVDs have the encryption so...

skinner927
09-19-2006, 04:17 AM
I was reading somewhere a while ago that When you buy a DVD you don't actually buy it. You merley pay a type of lease to the Movie studio. They technicially own the DVD still and technically in a few years they could say they want all of their DVD's back and legaly you're bound to do so. I think thats what I said, But i made up that last part :thumbsup:

But seriously, movie studios and game companies and all thoes other companies that try to put protections on their DVD's and Software are just wasing their own money because it only takes a few days for a crack or fix or patch to come out to be able to copy/play/use the material. If i was in charge, my stuff wouldn't be encrypted and I'd just make more money, because for example, a safe disk licence prouably costs over $10 thousand for a big game release. Now, thats $10 thousand I'd be able to put twords my next game :cool: Because someone is just gona crack it. My favorite is when a game company releases a new game with the same encrypting that was cracked last year because they bought a 5 yr license or whatever for $billion and really have no choice. Oh boy. :D

marek_mar
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Most CD/DVD discs can be cloned so you don't really have to crack anything.

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Right but thats not what the OP was asking. He/she wanted to know how to get the dvd onto their system.

thesmart1
10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
yeah, i wanted to know how to get a dvd on my comp

Aradon
10-14-2006, 06:04 PM
DVD Decrypter.

It's free and it works like a charm. It burns it to an ISO that you can then use daemon tools or burn to another DVD (provided you have the right burner).

It's what I use for my DVD Back Up's

thesmart1
10-14-2006, 08:10 PM
is there anything that can rip a dvd and save it as a file that i can open in a normal media player (like wmv, mpg, or mov)?

oracleguy
10-15-2006, 05:15 AM
AutoGK works pretty well and is easy to use. You have to first copy the disc using DVD Decrypter. However remember all that stuff on page 1 about the DMCA still applies if you live in the US.

thesmart1
10-15-2006, 02:39 PM
yeah, i live in the us... so does that mean i cant put the dvds i bought on my own computer? :(

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum