View Full Version : Video Card Driver Update Problem...

Tristan Gray
08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
So, I installed the latest directx and wanted to make sure my drivers were up to speed. So I installed the proper radeon catalyst drivers for xp and restarted. The computer booted through the windows loading screen only to hang on a grainy blue screen with 4bit color depth.

So I rebooted into safe mode and foolishly tried a system restore point from before the upgrade... it failed and when I rebooted it brought me to the desktop but in 640x400 with 4bit color depth. Ew

So back into safe mode... and I turned off system restore points and uninstalled video card drivers. I then used a driver cleaner to clear out all unwanted drivers from ati and to tidy the registry up some. Then I rebooted and it brought me back to windows with 32bit color depth and a good resolution but using the default vga drivers so everything is choppy. So I try installing the drivers fresh and rebooting... Bam, back to 4bit color etc. Uninstall and restart.

So I am currently able to use my computer but it is choppy and is barely using my video card at all. This is enough to get my work done but I really need to get this vid card functional at some point. I am thinking of installing legacy drivers or something. Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
So when it booted up into 640x480, it wouldnt let you set the settings higher?

Tristan Gray
08-23-2006, 11:41 PM
That's the odd part. It would but when I applied them they wouldn't actually change. It claimed the device was functioning properly but clearly it was not. It has been a very strange experience.