View Full Version : MyIsam -v- InnoDB

bazz
08-21-2006, 11:16 AM
What is the view of the panel on this one? I suspect that there may be trade-offs but, I welcome your experience-based opinions.

bazz

guelphdad
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
If you are running Full Text indexes you need to use MyISAM tables.

If you are using proper foreign keys where you would need to enforce the integrity of your data then you need to use INNODB. (i.e. if you use MyISAM type and try to do an ON CASCADE DELETE/UPDATE, the subordinate tables would be ignored).

Other than that I'm not aware of speed issues or whatever.

bazz
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok thanks.

I have read that InnoDb is better when you need to lock records individually rather than complete tables. So, if I have a lot of page requests at around the same time and they amend data in the same table, apparently InnoDb is better as the speciifc record would be locked for the amendment rather than the whole table, which would slow down the whole thing.

what you guys think?

bazz

Beagle
08-21-2006, 03:27 PM
InnoDB implements a lot more features than MyISAM. Because of that, there is definitely a speed difference, though very specific and often minor. One place it's not minor is inserting and updating records with lots of constraints. MyISAM simply doesn't support certain constraints, so it doesn't have to check them, hence it's faster. If you don't use the features of InnoDB though, you won't see a serious speed difference.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum