View Full Version : CURLY EDGES for Everyone!!

Terry
11-07-2002, 07:01 AM
This is for ConfusedOfLife who asked if this is possible. It certainly is, and no hack, complex css or SVG required. All that is needed is two little known html form elements called FIELDSET and LEGEND. Here a simple html replication of ConfusedOfLife's screen shot:

<HTML>
<BODY>
<div style="width: 250px;">
<form>
<FIELDSET>
<LEGEND style="font-weight: bold;">Layout&nbsp;</LEGEND>
<P>Alignment:
<SELECT NAME="baseline">
<OPTION VALUE="server" SELECTED>Baseline</OPTION>
</SELECT>
</p>
<p>
Border Thickness:
<input type="text" name="thickness">
</FIELDSET>
</form>
</p>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I only discovered this a few weeks ago, haven't had the time to implement it yet. I found out about this from a webreference.com article on forms (perhaps the most in-depth I've ever seen):
http://webreference.com/html/tutorial13/20.html

Terry

Spookster
11-07-2002, 07:32 AM
Been doing web development for 7 years and I can honestly say I have never heard or seen that before. lol

Pretty neat. :thumbsup:

zoobie
11-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Sorry...I'm just not seeing anything that's curly...either here or in COL's example. :rolleyes:

Terry
11-07-2002, 09:04 AM
He had little arrows that pointed to the corners which surround windows OS form components:

http://irandiba.net/confusedoflife/SS/curly!.jpg

My example was a reproduction of the "Layout" form component, done with html. I have often wished that we could do this in html myself. So I was pretty happy when I accidently stumbled on a way to do it.

The FIELDSET and LEGEND form elements works much the same in Netscape but without the "curly" or "rounded" corners.

Terry

ConfusedOfLife
11-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanx Terry, I tried your code in win98 and it doesn't show anything curly, but in XP you can see the curly edge clearly. I had the fieldset and legend that I cut and pasted from the original code of that htmlarea program, but even in XP I couldn't make it show a curly edge, but your code does, I have to compare it with mine later.

PS: It wasn't bad if you sent a link or something to me, I just stumbled upon your thread accidentaly ( the way that you found the code! ):D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum